Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop the Formula!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:49 AM
  • 57 Replies
Supplementing with formula seems to be the most common factor in supply issues. I'm wondering why so many women start supplementing and where the misinformation is coming from? Are doctors so untrained on breastfeeding?
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittney28
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 1:53 AM
A lot of woman can't/dont produce enough breastmilk. So they babies dont get the nutrition they need. My baby kept losing weight and was not getting proper nutrition, so my doc started having me pump to find out I was hardly producing anything! I tried all the lactating teas and pill and nothing worked. That's whyiI had to supplement with formula.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:06 AM
For me, I used a few bottles in the hospital because I was extremely anxious and the formula was given to me. Her latch hurt constantly and I kept having people walk in on me. It continued because I didn't know how to fix her latch that just kept getting more and more painful as days went by that eventually she couldn't latch at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:07 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes, i do believe many are that uneducated about breastfeeding. Even some lactation consultants can give poor advice, which happened recently to someone i know and was trying to help. So sad :(
jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:12 AM

doctors are a lot of the problem, yes. 

pinkiebabii
by Jennie on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:13 AM
How old was baby when you began supplementing?

Quoting brittney28:

A lot of woman can't/dont produce enough breastmilk. So they babies dont get the nutrition they need. My baby kept losing weight and was not getting proper nutrition, so my doc started having me pump to find out I was hardly producing anything! I tried all the lactating teas and pill and nothing worked. That's whyiI had to supplement with formula.
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 2:16 AM
10 moms liked this
Companies have spent way too much money convincing women their bodies don't work. :/
graycalico
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I wonder this constantly.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 4:44 AM
I know. People are uneducated about breastfeeding. They think because baby is nursing a lot, their dr doesn't help, etc.
adt87
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 5:03 AM
Quoting Precious333:

Yes, i do believe many are that uneducated about breastfeeding. Even some lactation consultants can give poor advice, which happened recently to someone i know and was trying to help. So sad :(

I received terrible input from the lc at the hospital when I had my oldest 4 years ago. She told me I had flat nipples. She never checked my son for tongue tie and neither did his pediatrician later on. So after 2 1/2 months of painful breastfeeding I gave up. It also caused me to give my next two formula because I believed the problem was me having flat nipples so why bother. With this baby (who's almost 6 weeks) I researched some things and discovered my oldest is indeed tongue tied as was this baby. So we had this lo's tongue clipped and I've been able to EBF! My 2 yo dd is not tongue tied but I never even tried to breastfeed her. It makes me so sad every time I think about it.
shortyali
by Alicia on Aug. 17, 2013 at 5:54 AM
3 moms liked this
Very few women do not produce enough. Medical reasons aside (IGT, PECOS or something along those lines) usually it's a lack of knowledge that causes this misinformation. Pumping does not indicate supply, it only shows how well you respond to a pump. A friend of mine nursed twins but could barely pump a drop or 2.

Op- with my first I did zero research on bfing. I thought what's the point to look into something that should be soo natural. DS1 barely made it to his bw by 4 weeks and then at 7 weeks he lost just under 1lb. I panicked and the dr was a formula pusher so he told me that I wasn't producing enough be ause when I pumped I only got 6ozs from each side and I was starving him. Also when I did pump because my milk separated and there was only a thin layer of fat on top that my milk was no better than skim milk. He told me I was killing my baby and threatened to tell CPS (someone had already told them I refused to feed my baby so there was already a case open) that I refused to feed my baby and he would be taken away if I didn't use formula. Same dr told me to only nurse 1 side for 10 minutes every 3-4 hours and no more, if DS1 cried before that time to ignore him until the timer went off. Being a ftm I listened. So by 7 weeks DS1 was weaned cold turkey from bm and put on 6 oz bottles of soy formula. Looking back I had oal/os and that was why DS1 was having issues. Also the timed feeds were not helping. When I had DD, I looked into this further and nursed her for 22 months until I was 3 months pregnant with DS2. I'm currently nursing DS2 for 9 months and going. DD and DS2 have not had even a drop of formula.

Quoting brittney28:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)