Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

She is fighting me!

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM
  • 16 Replies
So we are still new to BFing. The past couple days, we have really struggled because she just fights me constantly when I try to nurse. She keeps her hands up near her face and I don't have enough hands to move them! I am just not that coordinated yet and need one hand on her neck/back of head to guide her and the other to support my breast and get her latched.

When I do get her latched, she is sucking good but then pulls off soon after and cries and then we have to start over. I don't know if this is related, but we are coming off a growth spurt and I feel like I have way more milk than I need right now. Is she getting it too fast and that's what's upsetting her? Any other tips to get her to quit fighting so badly? Do we need to try some other positions? We are both getting very frustrated and it is exhausting!!
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TaylorMom814:

So we are still new to BFing. The past couple days, we have really struggled because she just fights me constantly when I try to nurse. She keeps her hands up near her face and I don't have enough hands to move them!
**smile** Someone forgot the important "third hand for moms" option!
I am just not that coordinated yet and need one hand on her neck/back of head to guide her and the other to support my breast and get her latched.
Sounds pretty normal.
When I do get her latched, she is sucking good but then pulls off soon after and cries and then we have to start over.
Also normal.
I don't know if this is related, but we are coming off a growth spurt and I feel like I have way more milk than I need right now. Is she getting it too fast and that's what's upsetting her?
Bingo! Exactly. Have you tried laid-back nursing? It is what it sounds like; you take a seat that allows you to lean way back or clouch. Recliners are ideal for this. Put baby on TOP, tummy to tummy or across your chest, mouth over the nipple, not under. Latch. Gravity slows the flow of the milk so baby's not overwhelmed. And, you've just done tummy time!
Any other tips to get her to quit fighting so badly? Do we need to try some other positions? We are both getting very frustrated and it is exhausting!!

JennyLee24
by Member on Aug. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM
My son does this to me..the fighting part especially bad at night. He'll be 4 wks on monday so we're still getting the hang of things..but it is very fustrating especially when he's clawing my nipples. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TaylorMom814
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:06 PM
3 moms liked this
Thank you!! We had not tried laid back and just did. Took a minute to figure it out (not enough hands for this either!) but then she latched on (more easily than she usually does) and did not come off one time before she was done. With all the fighting it was taking up to an hour to finish, but we were done in about 20 minutes I would say. I think we have a new favorite nursing position!
TaylorMom814
by on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Quoting JennyLee24:

My son does this to me..the fighting part especially bad at night. He'll be 4 wks on monday so we're still getting the hang of things..but it is very fustrating especially when he's clawing my nipples. Lol

Taylor is 4 weeks on Tuesday :) try laid back if you haven't yet! Made a world of difference for us. Her hands didn't get in the way one time.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 17, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Laying on your side is another option for nursing :)

Quoting TaylorMom814:

Thank you!! We had not tried laid back and just did. Took a minute to figure it out (not enough hands for this either!) but then she latched on (more easily than she usually does) and did not come off one time before she was done. With all the fighting it was taking up to an hour to finish, but we were done in about 20 minutes I would say. I think we have a new favorite nursing position!

Astephenson30
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:20 AM
My now three month old daughter was doing the fighting thing this past week. It took me a while to realize that she just wasn't hungry. She went to sleep (growth spurt related sleeping) - pumped a ton of milk!!! Wanted to keep my supply up which I am very glad I did because she was ravenous the next day ;)

Glad the different position worked for you.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 5:31 AM
It definitely sounds like you have an oversupply. Nursing with her above your breast will help tremendously because she'll have to fight gravity for her milk. The two positions I would suggest are her on your chest tummy to tummy (kind of) and her next to you, but that second one might be a bit too difficult for her depending on her age. It because ds1's favorite position somewhere around two months when I accidentally have myself an oversupply problem from too much pumping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennyLee24
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM
I have overactive letdown and i tried the laid back position with baby tummy to tummy and it did work but i also believe that was the reason for the clogged duct that led to mastitis. Im over it now but i worry about getting it again.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Plugs are pretty common for us moms with oversupply. When you feel one, swtich to dangle nursing to get the clog out.

There's some info on kellymom about using lecithin supplements to prevent clogs, too.

Quoting JennyLee24:

I have overactive letdown and i tried the laid back position with baby tummy to tummy and it did work but i also believe that was the reason for the clogged duct that led to mastitis. Im over it now but i worry about getting it again.

JennyLee24
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Thank u for the info :)

Quoting gdiamante:

Plugs are pretty common for us moms with oversupply. When you feel one, swtich to dangle nursing to get the clog out.

There's some info on kellymom about using lecithin supplements to prevent clogs, too.

Quoting JennyLee24:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN