Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

how to save my milk at night! please help!!ETA

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM
  • 17 Replies

I'm currently pregnant now and I was just wondering, Is there something I can buy where I can wear at night that will help to save my milk so it wont go to waste. With my DD I leaked... A LOT. Id wake up and my shirts and sheets and even my pillow case was soaked and that was getting up to pump every 2-4 hours in the middle of the night that I still had that much leaking out. I hated waking up soaking wet, and I hated the fact that all that milk had gone to waste. So other than getting up more often to pump or nurse, is there something I can buy that will actually save my milk that leaks out?

ETA: I pumped because so far both my kids have been in the NICU. My DS for 4 days and my DD for 2 weeks so for her pumping was my only option in the begenning and I wasn't completely comfortable nursing yet. I didn't start EBF till she was a month old. I'm hoping to be able to have this baby not in the NICU and with me so I don't have to pump.

by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 18, 2013 at 8:16 AM
www.mymilkies.com
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM
The milkies things will, but you need to get up to dump the milk every 2 hours to keep it fresh. Getting up to pump that often just prolonged the problem with your first. For the first 4-6 weeks, no pumping, just let baby establish your supply and allow it to regulate to baby's needs.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:19 AM

No pumping; it will merely make things worse. Simply nurse on demand.

I'm not sanguine about the milkies in bed. I've never used them so I don't know, but it strikes me they'd leak. And as Wizzo mentioned, you'd have to get up often to clear them. A towel might be beter for those sleeping hours.

SuthernBelleo0o
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

That's the thing, I may have no choice but to pump. So far both of my kids have been in the NICU and I couldnt get to them so I always prepare for that. If I have no other choice I'll have to do it. I was thinking the milkies would leak too. 

Quoting gdiamante:

I'm not sanguine about the milkies in bed. I've never used them so I don't know, but it strikes me they'd leak. And as Wizzo mentioned, you'd have to get up often to clear them. A towel might be beter for those sleeping hours.

SuthernBelleo0o
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Well, I may have no choice in the pumping matter as all of my kids have been in the NICU after birth. My DS for 4 days and my DD for 2 weeks so for her pumping was my only option in the begenning and I wasn't completely comfortable nursing yet. I didn't start EBF till she was a month old. I'm hoping to be able to have this baby not in the NICU and with me so I don't have to pump.

Quoting K8wizzo:

The milkies things will, but you need to get up to dump the milk every 2 hours to keep it fresh. Getting up to pump that often just prolonged the problem with your first. For the first 4-6 weeks, no pumping, just let baby establish your supply and allow it to regulate to baby's needs.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Well, sure. If baby's not with you, then you do have to pump. The "no pumping" goes on the presumption that baby is home with you. 

Quoting SuthernBelleo0o:

That's the thing, I may have no choice but to pump. So far both of my kids have been in the NICU and I couldnt get to them so I always prepare for that. If I have no other choice I'll have to do it. I was thinking the milkies would leak too. 

Quoting gdiamante:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Exactly. If you're with baby, put him/her to breast at every wiggle. Prayers for a full term healthy birth!

My first was a preemie... we did the pumping and nicu thing, too. My second was full term.

Quoting gdiamante:

Well, sure. If baby's not with you, then you do have to pump. The "no pumping" goes on the presumption that baby is home with you. 

Quoting SuthernBelleo0o:

Quoting gdiamante:

SuthernBelleo0o
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Yeah, I'm hoping everything goes smooth this time. 

My first was born at 37 weeks due to his size (10lbs) and me having low fluid, it was a scheduled c-section that turned into emergency, they ended up having to put me under GA because I passed out after they gave me the epidural and he got some of it and went into distress.

My DD was a month early she was also big (8lbs 13oz) She had stopped moving and her heart rate was 300 so that was also emergency. It actually went really good, but she had jaundice and they wanted to monitor her heart rate and stuff to make sure she was ok. 

Quoting K8wizzo:

Exactly. If you're with baby, put him/her to breast at every wiggle. Prayers for a full term healthy birth!

My first was a preemie... we did the pumping and nicu thing, too. My second was full term.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting SuthernBelleo0o:

Quoting gdiamante:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I know several moms who use milkies overnight who say they don't leak. Otherwise I wouldn't have recommended them. If you're getting up to pump every couple hours, I don't see why emptying them before pumping would be a problem. I'm not aware of any other way of catching and saving the leaking milk than that method. hopefully your baby won't be in the NICU and you won't have to worry about it!
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM

It actually sounds like getting up to pump was what was causing this problem in the first place.  You never allowed your supply to regulate by doing that.  Just nursing on demand will probably eliminate the problem entirely. You might still leak occasionally and for the first few weeks as your supply is getting regulated, but that's normal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN