Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

poor baby girl :(

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM
  • 32 Replies
Samara is 9 days old today, we are dealing with thrush and now ahe has a stuffy nose. My oldest son has a cold, so does daddy as well as my sister, her kids and other sister....all held her before they knew they were sick :( poor baby.
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM

You sure it is thrush?  Also...stuffy nose could just be milk backing up some....which could also indicate a bit of an overactive letdown or oversupply which could mimic signs of thrush.  

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Positive, had thrush several times.

Quoting IrishIz:

You sure it is thrush?  Also...stuffy nose could just be milk backing up some....which could also indicate a bit of an overactive letdown or oversupply which could mimic signs of thrush.  

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Honestly...unless it was cultured it may not have been thrush.  I tend to keep quiet about thrush on here but thrush is frequently overdiagnosed.  It is an easy diagnosis to make.  More and more research is showing us that thrush is overdiagnosed and it is frequently other issues and many times...bacterial.  People use APNO thinking they have thrush not realizing one of the main ingredients is an antibiotic for staph which is the most common cause of baterial infection of the nipple area.  So be open to the idea that it may not be thrush...we are learing that what was one always deemed thrush has been wrong.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting IrishIz:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM
These are my symptoms.

Nipples are pink, started with the left and now my right side. They are always sore and sting at times, left mostly, but now right starts to hurt a bit. Baby has white on her tongue.

Quoting IrishIz:

Honestly...unless it was cultured it may not have been thrush.  I tend to keep quiet about thrush on here but thrush is frequently overdiagnosed.  It is an easy diagnosis to make.  More and more research is showing us that thrush is overdiagnosed and it is frequently other issues and many times...bacterial.  People use APNO thinking they have thrush not realizing one of the main ingredients is an antibiotic for staph which is the most common cause of baterial infection of the nipple area.  So be open to the idea that it may not be thrush...we are learing that what was one always deemed thrush has been wrong.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting IrishIz:

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

White on the tongue can be normal as milk can leave a coating...one that really hangs on.  If there were white patches on the cheeks, roof of mouth or on the gums...that helps signify thrush.  Thrush doesn't just pick the tongue.

The pink can also be from a strong suck.

A bacterial infection can cause the pain as can a poor latch or strong suck.

So there are a variety of things that can be at play.  It could be thrush but I would be open to exploring other stuff as more and more it looks like thrush is over-diagnosed.

Quoting Precious333:

These are my symptoms.

Nipples are pink, started with the left and now my right side. They are always sore and sting at times, left mostly, but now right starts to hurt a bit. Baby has white on her tongue.

Quoting IrishIz:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting IrishIz:

jb0520
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Awww:(
OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:17 PM
Poor baby :-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JennyLee24
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Hope u and baby get better soon! :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Ok, thanks. We see my midwife tomorrow, who is also an IBCLC, and run it by her. as of now we are treating it as thrush just incase, using natural remedies, so if its not than none of the stuff i have done wont hurt it.

Quoting IrishIz:

White on the tongue can be normal as milk can leave a coating...one that really hangs on.  If there were white patches on the cheeks, roof of mouth or on the gums...that helps signify thrush.  Thrush doesn't just pick the tongue.

The pink can also be from a strong suck.

A bacterial infection can cause the pain as can a poor latch or strong suck.

So there are a variety of things that can be at play.  It could be thrush but I would be open to exploring other stuff as more and more it looks like thrush is over-diagnosed.

Quoting Precious333:

These are my symptoms.

Quoting IrishIz:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting IrishIz:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

poor baby.  My nips are red/raw and feel bruised and now getting shooting breast pains so afraid its thrush for me too ...argh I hope not

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)