Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Worried about my supply *UPDATE* *UPDATE 2* *UPDATE 3*

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 56 Replies
I have been pumping every morning a.d I get about 1-1.5 oz (after feeding my lil man) and the lc at wic said I should pump 2-3 more times a day after nursing to we able to freeze some (the morning pumping is for daddy to feed at night) but it seems like I am not getting enough to put up. Matter of fact at a point in the day he seems to be starving. He's constantly nursing like this afternoon from 4-8 all he did was nurse. And he hasn't pooped in 3 days. I'm worried I'm not producing enough. And yes he has at least 6 wets a day. How do I produce enough to not only nurse put pump to freeze?

Update 1- we went to see Dr today and they did xrays and he isn't backed up and has no blockage. Also no tongue tie. So now she asked me to pump a couple of times before nursing to see what I get. (I got 1 3/4 oz off one side and 1/2 oz off side most recently nursed on) and we have an appt with lactation consultant on mo.day morning. The wic LC called and told me to pump after nursing ( to get what's left) and give it to him in bottle to make sure he's getting enough to produce poop. So I have pumped both sides and nursed and gave it to him in a bottle and I guess ill repeat in 2-3 hrs after that ill only have to pump after nursing and not before. Ugh y does this have to be so damn hard!

UPDATE 2- we went to a lactation consultant this morning and I feel so.much better. Eli only weighed 8.1 when we got there in just a dry diaper. She watched him nurse a.d said he has a perfect latch! She said to stop bottles and if I pump just to freeze because he is getting plenty to eat. She said to get rid of the formula that the Dr had me start to get him pooping. She said that its normal to go 5-7 days with no poop so we won't worry until we hit 7 days. He has a great amount of wet diapers. She also said she saw no tongue tie either. So my orders are to nurse and take fenugreek 3 times daily. Oh and after he nursed we reweighed and he had gained 3 ounces from nursing. That means he got 3 whole ounces of breasymilk while in there! I feel so much better that she doesn't seem to think we have an issue and my life no longer revolves around pump, nurse, pump, bottle, formula bottle, rinse and repeat.

UPDATE 3- so he still hasn't pooped in today makes 6 days. But today the visiting nurse came and did a weigh in and last Thursday he was 8.1 1/2 and Monday he was 8.2 1/2 and today he is 8.5 1/2 !!!! We are finally gaining after 3 weeks! I'm so happy right now. Oh and about the poop we see our LC again tomorrow.
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM

If you pump on one side and nurse off the other very first feed in the morning, I find that I get a nice amount.

Are you eating oatmeal daily?  (You can have it as an ingredient in food, so you don't have to eat the cereal if you don't like it).  Also, stay hydrated.

Why are you wanting to freeze it?  Why is dad feeding baby at night?

The best way to keep your supply up is to put babe to the breast as often as possible...

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
The amount you are getting is smack in the middle of normal range. He will only need 1-1.25 ounces per hour you are away from him. Read the article "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com. It will have all the information you will need. Print a copy for any caregivers if you leave him. He should only get bottles when you are away--otherwise, straight from the tap. If Daddy wants to feed at night, you would still need to get up and pump at that time while he gives the bottle to keep your supply up. Much easier just to co-sleep and nurse. Daddies can do so many other things--changing, bathing, dressing, singing, dancing, rocking.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Your pump output is normal.  Nursing frequently is a sign of growth spurt- he is signaling your body to make more.  May I ask why you are pumping?  If you want to have a bit for going out, pump one side while nursing on the other in the morning.  That will get you enough.  Letting dad give bottles is most likely what is slowing you down on getting a stash built up, and unless you are pumping as he gives that bottle every single time you are missing a feeding signal.  There are a lot of different things dad can do to get to know your lo that do not involve feeding, if he is trying to help you out or give you time to do other things he can take over diapers, bath time, fussy cuddles (DH took over all the late night cuddles our colicky ODD needed to give me a few hours of sleep), the list goes on.  

If you are pumping to have a stash for work, pumping once every morning now is enough, as long as that milk goes to the freezer.  If you are going back to work you will need to pump once in the morning, then every two to three hours whie away from baby.  Never give bottles when you are around to preserve your stash for when you are gone.

queenb87
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:12 PM
No to the oatmeal and dad feeds him a bottle at night because he has already been nursing 2-3 hrs and still acts hungry so I let daddy give him a bottle that way they bond and I get a little break. And I'm wanting to freeze for when I go back to work

Quoting GoodyBrook:

If you pump on one side and nurse off the other very first feed in the morning, I find that I get a nice amount.

Are you eating oatmeal daily?  (You can have it as an ingredient in food, so you don't have to eat the cereal if you don't like it).  Also, stay hydrated.

The best way to keep your supply up is to put babe to the breast as often as possible...

queenb87
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:14 PM
He's only giving the bottle after I nurse constantly switching sides for 2-3 hrs. So he's not missing a feeding at all

Quoting preacherskid:

Your pump output is normal.  Nursing frequently is a sign of growth spurt- he is signaling your body to make more.  May I ask why you are pumping?  If you want to have a bit for going out, pump one side while nursing on the other in the morning.  That will get you enough.  Letting dad give bottles is most likely what is slowing you down on getting a stash built up, and unless you are pumping as he gives that bottle every single time you are missing a feeding signal.  There are a lot of different things dad can do to get to know your lo that do not involve feeding, if he is trying to help you out or give you time to do other things he can take over diapers, bath time, fussy cuddles (DH took over all the late night cuddles our colicky ODD needed to give me a few hours of sleep), the list goes on.  

If you are pumping to have a stash for work, pumping once every morning now is enough, as long as that milk goes to the freezer.  If you are going back to work you will need to pump once in the morning, then every two to three hours whie away from baby.  Never give bottles when you are around to preserve your stash for when you are gone.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That right there could be hurting your supply.  How old is your LO?  Newborns, and even babies past 3 months of age, will cluster feed (what your DS is doing from 4-8) to build and regulate supply.  Not nursing can damage that "work" he is doing.  If you are wanting to get a little stash for when you go to work, then SAVE what you are currently pumping and stop giving the bottles.

Quoting queenb87:

No to the oatmeal and dad feeds him a bottle at night because he has already been nursing 2-3 hrs and still acts hungry so I let daddy give him a bottle that way they bond and I get a little break. And I'm wanting to freeze for when I go back to work

Quoting GoodyBrook:

CafeMom Tickers

ballerina.2006
by Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Ds2 does cluster feeds like that when he's growing or not feeling well.

Your pump supply is actually wonderful. If I need expressed milk then I pump the opposite side after feeding for 1-2 feeds, depending on how much I need. For instance: I have a dental appointment tomorrow. I would pump 1-2 times tonight and again first thing in the morning if needed (I can always pump 3-5oz in the morning) just for 5 oz for the 3 hours I'll be gone (he normally only takes 2-3oz so this leaves "extra").
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Are you pumping while daddy gives the bottle? If not, you need to be. How old is baby?

Quoting queenb87:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

preacherskid
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Are you pumping when he gives that bottle?  Constant nursing is growth spurt behavior, he is doing that for a reason.  If you are not pumping, he may not be missing a feeding, but your body is still missing the signal that he is still taking milk, and that it needs to increase output.  In addition, if you pump once, and dad gives that milk later, it is going to be very difficult for you to build a stash to be honest, because instead of that milk just being extra, it is going right back into a feeding, kind of like you hadn't pumped the extra to begin with, if that makes sense.  

I saw you need to build a stash for work, I will be honest, if you don't start pumping more often, and dad keeps giving bottles at night, it is going to be very very hard for you to get a stash ahead of work.  If you don't want dad to stop giving bottles, I would recommend pumping the opposite side for at least one more feeding during the day than dad gives as bottles at night- if he gives one bottle, you pump on one side while baby nurses on the other twice during the day, and so on.  

Quoting queenb87:

He's only giving the bottle after I nurse constantly switching sides for 2-3 hrs. So he's not missing a feeding at all

Quoting preacherskid:

CafeMom Tickers
queenb87
by on Aug. 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM
He's 10 days

Quoting K8wizzo:

Are you pumping while daddy gives the bottle? If not, you need to be. How old is baby?

Quoting queenb87:

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN