Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Really tired of the spit up :(

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM
  • 15 Replies
My son is 4weeks old and i swear everytime i feed him he spits up so much and if i lay him down its worse. He gets the hiccups and here it comes, then hes hungry again shortly after that. Idk what to do. I know i have an overactive letdown and that may be the problem but how do i know if its not?...I've been trying the laid back bfing position and im hoping that will work for me..How can i fix the letdown issue or will it fix itself in time?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
It will get better in time. Keep working on positioning and try to burp him well before and after feedings. Spit up is a laundry problem, not a medical one. :) Putting him down on his tummy when he's awake or on his left side when he's asleep may help because the pressure helps to move milk through his body, as does nursing.
destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Mine is still here after six months. :( we lay down and nurse on our sides. As the baby gets bigger He'll get used to it. He rarely spits up or hiccups now.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM
3 moms liked this

You're doing what needs to be done. And as irritating as spitup is, it's better than the blowout diapers that are in your future. **grin**

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM

My baby is 7 weeks, he's my second. Once again I have overactive letdown. With my first the overactive letdown lessened but never went away. I just keep receiving blankets (my preferred burp cloth) around the house and on me so there's always one available when I nurse, knowing that I'll probably be leaking into one. Leaking into a milk saver or bottle is another option. As my first got bigger, she was better able to handle the letdown.

This baby has had a lot of spitup, even after burping him. Given how fussy he was, I think he had a lot of tummy upsets. He also has eczema on his cheeks, a possible indication of a problem with cow's milk. I cut out as much dairy as possible from my diet. After a week and a half he went from spitting up tablespoons to spitting up teaspoons. I don't know if it's coincidence, but it might be worth a shot. (The eczema is taking longer and more work to clear up, but I've also got sensitive skin so at least I was already laundering everything the best way for us.)

melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Spit up sometimes just is. A little girl I babysit is 4mo and most days she just spits up loads of it!! We joke not to worry about the spit up rags just grab a towel.
LilliesValley
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

How is he dressed? Like is he in a onesie alone or a onesie and a pair of pants with an elastic band around the tummy. Sometimes those can cause babies to spit up a lot. I'd probably ask the pediatrician just in case he has reflux but my understanding is that's really rare in bf babies. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen though. Also have you tried burping more often?

LilliesValley
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Just curious have you tried putting bm on the eczema? I've heard of doing that and that it can help. Just curious.

Quoting Terpsichore:

My baby is 7 weeks, he's my second. Once again I have overactive letdown. With my first the overactive letdown lessened but never went away. I just keep receiving blankets (my preferred burp cloth) around the house and on me so there's always one available when I nurse, knowing that I'll probably be leaking into one. Leaking into a milk saver or bottle is another option. As my first got bigger, she was better able to handle the letdown.

This baby has had a lot of spitup, even after burping him. Given how fussy he was, I think he had a lot of tummy upsets. He also has eczema on his cheeks, a possible indication of a problem with cow's milk. I cut out as much dairy as possible from my diet. After a week and a half he went from spitting up tablespoons to spitting up teaspoons. I don't know if it's coincidence, but it might be worth a shot. (The eczema is taking longer and more work to clear up, but I've also got sensitive skin so at least I was already laundering everything the best way for us.)

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I've heard that too. I've tried putting bm on my own eczema flare-ups several times a day for a few days and didn't notice a difference. He gets sprayed in the face a lot and I haven't noticed the bm doing anything for him either. Dunno why. Coconut oil used as skin lotion has helped both of us a great deal.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Just curious have you tried putting bm on the eczema? I've heard of doing that and that it can help. Just curious.

TaylorMom814
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM
My baby spits up a lot less when we nurse laid back, so that seems to work for us. I wouldn't stress too much about it though!
SoCoRI
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Both of my kids were like this, it just went away after about 6 months. I had A LOT of bibs!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN