Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

help the Pain?Update* it's mastitis now what?

Posted by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM
  • 9 Replies

so my lo is 8 mos old and she nurses less during the day and all night for now. this week my breasts are killing me.... nipples red but not cracked, I feel full pump but don't get much, and it jst seems to get worse? Sometimes she acts like she doesn't eat enough but others fine still peeing and pooping. am I drying up or something? what is causing this? my breast are a little lumpy and very tender, down to the rib cage? what the heck? help lol. starting taking Motrin to help.

by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Quoting Sunflower_rn:

so my lo is 8 mos old and she nurses less during the day and all night for now.

Just for form's sake, let me ask... are you nursing before solids? You don't want the solids to take the place of nursing just yet.

this week my breasts are killing me.... nipples red but not cracked, I feel full pump but don't get much, and it jst seems to get worse?

Sounds like you have a case of thrush going here and maybe mastitis due to the reduction in nursing.

Sometimes she acts like she doesn't eat enough but others fine still peeing and pooping. am I drying up or something?

Absolutely NOT drying up. Not at all. You don't feel drying up.

what is causing this? my breast are a little lumpy and very tender, down to the rib cage? what the heck? help lol. starting taking Motrin to help.

Yep. Clogs and mastitis and thrush all rolled into one miserable package. For the clogs and mastitis, back off solids and nurse like crazy. Thrush treatments on kellymom.com.

Sunflower_rn
by on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:10 PM

so I don't see any thrush in her mouth? someone said maybe pms? I bf her before solids she takes maybe a full pouch all day not much solids. I will check for treatment. thx

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 19, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Thrush symptoms are often absent from baby's mouth. In fact, last thing I'd look for is white patches because they're so often absent. It can present as a rash on baby's bottom... or baby can have NO symptoms at all. Mine had the rash.

Quoting Sunflower_rn:

so I don't see any thrush in her mouth? someone said maybe pms? I bf her before solids she takes maybe a full pouch all day not much solids. I will check for treatment. thx

Sunflower_rn
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM

went to the doc... bad case of mastitis. here's the deal so she is eating less but I am still overproducing? so do I pump and store or hope I slow down and deal with it lol? that's basically how I ended up in this predicament.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

You need to remove the milk. Heat, rest, empty the breast is the mantra.

Sunflower_rn
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I try to get her to nurse often, with little luck, andshe doesn't really take solids unless we are eating she will take some of a pouch. she's not under eating I don't think it's just it hasn't been long that she was still nursing every 3 hours. now she is going longer and my body doesn't like it :/ any suggestions?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Use the pump. Cabbage leaves can help reduce any engorgement. Were you given any meds?

Sunflower_rn
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM

yes keflex antibiotics

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I hope you heal soon. Lots of rest, nursing, and lemon water.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN