Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is it really thrush? Maybe...maybe not!

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM
  • 14 Replies
2 moms liked this

So thrush is one of those things that is "easy" to diagnose.  Now I'm not saying that is easy to really determine if there is thrush but it is easy to just call the issue thrush and move on.  The reality is that there are many things that can give you similar symptoms as thrush.  Whenever there are repeated bouts of thrush...there needs to be further investigation to determine if it really is thrush.

I may need to add to this post and build on it a little at a time because of...life.  I just wanted to at least get it started and work on it LOL. I have 5 children and I'm in school working on being a Ped NP.  I'm terribly behind on school work so I will post what I can as much as I can...I may just put up a lot of resources about what other issues are and such.

But thrush can really be a bad latch, a bacterial infection, tongue tied baby, overactive letdown and some other things.

So how do you know if it is thrush and if it isn't?

So if it is thrush we all think to look for the white patch.  If the white patch is only on the tongue...don't assume thrush.  Many babies have a white tongue that can actually be pretty thick with the white...but it doesn't mean it is thrush.  If there are white patches on the gums and/or cheeks and/or roof of mouth with the tongue...that makes it more likely to be thrush.  Thrush doesn't know the difference between the tongue and the rest of the mouth.  So just tongue...consider thrush but be aware that it could be something else and the white tongue is just a nice coating of milk.

APNO for the FYI...contains an antifungal but also an antibacterial.  So sometimes people say it had to be thrush because the APNO helped.  APNO can help with things other than thrush.

Here's a nice article on some of this...

http://www.bestforbabes.org/its-thrush-or-is-it

Off to do a few other things...

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Also consider that sometimes the white doesn't appear.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Bacterial infection...the most common cause is staph aureus.  

APNO...can actually treat this.  It contains an antibiotic cream...bactroban (may sound familiar to some) and this can help treat staph aureus.  There are moms who are treated with APNO thinking they have thrush...when all along they actually had a bacterial infection.  Now, they never really knew it because the APNO they got for thrush cleared it up but it wasn't thrush.

Uh oh...baby "needs" me...off again...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:36 PM

My babies never get the white patch at all, they has horrid gas suddenly and get a diaper rash..a yeast diaper rash

JennyLee24
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM
My ds has the white coating now. I thought at first it was thrush but i found out at his check up its not bc it wasnt anywhere else in the mouth. I bet there are alot of moms who have that scare though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM
When my dd had thrush, the inside of her cheeks, along her gum line and her tongue were pretty darned white, and I had the nipples of fire. And then she developed a raging yeast diaper rash.

How do they culture it? Are we talking about swabbing mom's nipples or baby's mouth? I can certainly see why nystatin won't help if the dr is prescribing it with the assumption they're treating yeast when it might be bacterial. I can see why APNO might cover both. What about gv? Does that have any effect on bacterial infection?
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Yes, how do they culture for thrush?  I'd love to trust my CPNP's opinion, but I'd prefer a conclusive test!

How does one treat a suspected Bacterial Infection?  Is there also a culture for this?

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM

how do you get this apno? .. im going to be trying genitian violet.. but im so sick of this stupid thrush type crap.. it hasnt budged with dyflucan and nystatin..

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I just want to let you all know I still have more to post.  I don't know I'll get to anything today...ST starts in 5 minutes for my 2 year old and then I have to run to the Apple store to fix 2 broken phones and I have to go buy shampoo and conditioner (and this is crazy important because I just got a new "brand" cut and their products are actually amazing and I normally don't buy nice stuff...but I have the nicest hair right now and I'm almost out of stuff and not going to mess it up LOL).

So I have more to post and will hopefully get to some today but not sure.  

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 2:01 AM

Bump!  I'm terribly curious about info on bacterial issues...

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 31, 2013 at 3:22 AM

Thank you for making this post!!! You always have great information! I can't wait to read the rest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)