Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Confused On What To Do

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM
  • 6 Replies

My lil girl just turned 14 months and I'm still breastfeeding, but i am thinking about quitting. what my problem is, is that she is so attached to being breastfed that she throws fits. and she can and will not go to bed at nights without being breastfed. so if any of you ladies have gone though this and could help me out i will be truly grateful.

@}Ad_Pia_Kc{@
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Is there anyone who can take over bedtime duty? If so, then you disappear at nightand are no longer part of the bedtime routine. 

If not, then drop one feeding per week till gone and drop the bedtime one last; it will be the one that's most difficult to go. You can then shorten the bedtime feed a little every few nights.

It will take AT LEAST as many weeks as times baby nurses in a day. Possibly longer. But also know there's no deadline to get this done and it's really easiest to do nothing. She WILL do it all on her own when she's ready.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:09 PM
I would be inclined to try nursing more often during the day, up to bedtime, then disappearing for the night time routine. Breastmilk can be a good part of a baby's diet after the first birthday, and 3-4 sessions a day will give her adequate calcium without using cow or other milk. Also a handy tool for boo-boos and crankiness. I did baby-led weaning with both of mine.
ADPIAKCMAMI
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM

well she eats all night...and if i leave the room or get out of bed she will wake up not 2 mins later..i don't mind breastfeeding but i have gained some weight and i was going to start diet pills, i know its selfish but well maybe i shouldn't quit.... :(

Quoting gdiamante:

Is there anyone who can take over bedtime duty? If so, then you disappear at nightand are no longer part of the bedtime routine. 

If not, then drop one feeding per week till gone and drop the bedtime one last; it will be the one that's most difficult to go. You can then shorten the bedtime feed a little every few nights.

It will take AT LEAST as many weeks as times baby nurses in a day. Possibly longer. But also know there's no deadline to get this done and it's really easiest to do nothing. She WILL do it all on her own when she's ready.

@}Ad_Pia_Kc{@
ADPIAKCMAMI
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I would be inclined to try nursing more often during the day, up to bedtime, then disappearing for the night time routine. Breastmilk can be a good part of a baby's diet after the first birthday, and 3-4 sessions a day will give her adequate calcium without using cow or other milk. Also a handy tool for boo-boos and crankiness. I did baby-led weaning with both of mine.

I do feed throughout the day maybe 3 times and she also drinks milk n juice....I know its more healthy than whole milk but ive gained some weigh since having her a I just cant seem to lose it so I was gna try diet pills....I don't want to be selfish and i was gna let her quit when she wanted too but im not sure now...
@}Ad_Pia_Kc{@
emkirkley
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 3:54 PM

we transitioned to my DH doing night duty for a week to prove that she wasn't going to get to nurse to bed every time.  I would nurse, then hand her to him and he would read and rock and take her to bed, if she cried/screamed he went back and sang to her, if she just fussed we left her be...repeat until asleep

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 20, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Don't bother with diet pills. They whittle wallets rather than waistlines and any weight lost with them tends to come right back. Not to mention they're not good for you.

Change up your eating habits. Cut back on refined sugars, white bread, white rice. More leafy greens, lean proteins. Walk every day. Just that can make a big difference.

Quoting ADPIAKCMAMI:

well she eats all night...and if i leave the room or get out of bed she will wake up not 2 mins later..i don't mind breastfeeding but i have gained some weight and i was going to start diet pills, i know its selfish but well maybe i shouldn't quit.... :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN