Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I'm scared

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM
  • 28 Replies
To breast feed. I'm doing it anyway, but I am hearing all this talk about plugged duct (whatever that is) nipple cream, pads, cabbage leafs and I'm lossing my mind. One lady told me my breast will never be the same. They will sag, and hang!! I don't know what to do.
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Sagging or hanging is due to pregnancy NOT Bfing!

You dont need cabbage that dries you up

Pads..well yeah those are nice to prevent leaking that happens in the beginning even if NOT Bfing

Cream..I only used it now with my 5th baby and its because he has a tongue tie..otherwise my other 4 I never needed it.  Lanolin is the name.

If you nurse on demand generlaly you wont get plugged ducts

kellymom.com look it up..tons of info there

QueenWisdom
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM
That's another one the tongue ties!!! Jesus help me!!! Thanks for the info!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Pads..well yeah those are nice to prevent leaking that happens in the beginning even if NOT Bfing

Cream..I only used it now with my 5th baby and its because he has a tongue tie..otherwise my other 4 I never needed it.  Lanolin is the name.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Mama, just take it as it comes. Research and be prepared, but you may never come.across any of them, or you may come across some or all at one point or another. Never once has any of these obstacles made me question breastfeedinf, and after nursing four kids with a total of 7 years, I have dealt with them all, and overcome them all. Plus the benefits far outweigh those little bumps in the road.
SeattleBabyBump
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:18 PM
It sounds complicated but it's actually super easy. Don't let all the products fool you. I use nipple pads for leakage but that's it. All you do is put baby to breast when they're hungry, whenever they're hungry, and let them feed for as long as they want. Everything else you hear is the exception and not the rule. Formula feeding takes a lot more work, preparation, and money!
Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

It is WAY easier than you can imagine!  I feel lazy because I pushed through hard patches simply because I didn't want to buy formula, the special water (our tap water sucks), bottles, then all the washing and mixing it at night and such.  Yeah, didn't want to do all that so I pushed through.  It is so much easier to just pull out the boob.  The first few weeks were the hardest, after that it has been a breeze!  I really thought I would make it to 6 months and want to quit by then, we are at almost 13 months now and still going.  It calms her when she is upset or overwhelmed, it has helped a ton with teething discomfort, it helps her fall asleep, and I don't have to lug around bottles and formula.  We had a week long stint here she was only formula fed (due to medical issue with me) and I was so tired of washing the damn bottles after that week.  Luckily my supply didn't dip too much so by 3 weeks later she was back 100% breastfed (had an issue for a week of dh getting her a bottle while I was in the shower or sleeping).

JennyLee24
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Couldnt agree more..and u may not always need the breast pads as long as u feed him often. It gets easier over time thats for sure. Once u get used to it, u will not want to stop and its soooo much easier than all the bottle washing, sterilizing, and on the go is a piece of cake! Just bring ur boobs along. ;-))

Quoting SeattleBabyBump:

It sounds complicated but it's actually super easy. Don't let all the products fool you. I use nipple pads for leakage but that's it. All you do is put baby to breast when they're hungry, whenever they're hungry, and let them feed for as long as they want. Everything else you hear is the exception and not the rule. Formula feeding takes a lot more work, preparation, and money!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't borrow trouble...read up on whats NORMAL and if something else happens then worry about it
Quoting QueenWisdom:

That's another one the tongue ties!!! Jesus help me!!! Thanks for the info!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

QueenWisdom
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:36 PM
That's soothing to hear!! Thanks!! I'm aware that it is the best method of feeding, and I will not allow it to cloud my judgment, but being new to it, all those statements scared the crap out of me! Thanks so much for your kind words of encouragement.

Quoting SeattleBabyBump:

mellienium
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

just always keep in mind that it's good for the baby and you're saving yourself a whole lot of money and hassle! hehe.

it's really scary the first time around and it can be slightly irritating to the nipple during the first week or two.  once your baby learns how to latch on correctly, it'll be second nature to you.  if you're really worried look for a breast feeding support group around your area.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 20, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I've never met a woman in the history of the world whose breasts didn't succumb to gravity. That has nothing to do with breastfeeding and everything to do with pregnancy, weight gain and loss, elasticity of skin and gravity.

Google and read "101 Reasons to Breastfeed" and believe me, formula can be much scarier.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)