Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Clipped tongue tie and maybe lip tie? Need positive stories

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM
  • 15 Replies

I am scared..my guy is getting clipped tomorrow and I am worried..need some uplifting stories!

How old was yours when clipped? nurse ok afterwards?

My guy is 3 weeks ad nurses fine but my nipples are killing me

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:19 PM
My daughter seemed to much rather get her tongue tie clipped than get her nose suctioned. It was so easy, no.blood, nothing. She nursed just fine afterwards too :)
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Also, she nursed great on my right, but had issues on my left, and did some clicking, i think this helped her latch a little better, still doesnt always want to open her mouth sometimes on the left side lol
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Clipped on day 2, by pedi, didnt cut it enough. Baby seemed fine after....it helped a little

Clipped at 3 months by an ENT. Immediately better results with nursing - DS was cranky for a day or so.

DS2 has a lip tie....it doesn't seem to affect latch or weight gain so far but I have a massive supply right now - tandem nursing
HoBo86
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Tt clipped at 7 days. Did not nurse for 36 hours but once we got past that...much better!! He always nursed fine even with tt but i had lots of pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:09 PM
How about a horror story: DS is TT. Pedi refused to refer us to an ENT. The hospital wouldn't refer us. Just told us to ask our pedi. Shortly after birth he would not latch so I started pumping (iI believe it was because he wasn't getting much at all) so I exclusively pumped until eight weeks when you ladies helped me get him back to the breast. Ever since his weight gain has been slowing. Every time we go to the doc he has gained a little less. Now the pedi wants me to give him 30 ounces of whole milk a day (wean pretty much) because he went from the 60th percentile at birth to the eleventh at one year. So believe me having it clipped can't be as horrible as not. I'm sure he will do perfectly!
Andy15
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:46 PM
My newbie had hers done last wed... 3 wks old. She didn't nurse RIGHT after, she was confused a little bit. But it only took about 10 mins until she nursed, then she fell asleep! She nursed for maybe 5 mins. But I let her sleep and got home about an hour later and she nursed. It still hurt me, only bc I think I was still sore and bruised from before the TT release, but it's good now...

I have to relatch her every now and then, but I def. don't hurt like I did before! Have the gel soothies just in case you still have some pain in the beginning. The doc who did it told me it could see up to 3 wks for her to re-learn to latch and what not bc she had a bad latch for 3 wks. If that makes sense.

You will be a ok. The procedure is fast... It reminds me of shots.. A quick thing, a small cry and done!
Andy15
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Oh..super clingy for the whole day...but can't really argue about that!...lol
nurseangel032
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 11:31 PM

My baby boy was lasered around 7 weeks or so. I was mostly pumping and bottle feeding because of the pain.   Pain got less and less after the procedure and now he is 6 months old and nursing like a champ, pain free. He only gets a bottle if I am at work  ( although lately he has been reverse cycling and just taking bm in a sippy cup for my mom)    I am very happy we did it, it was a saving grace 

shortyali
by Alicia on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:13 AM
I had to wait until DD was 9 months to get the referral to get hers done. Night and day. The ENT only clipped ties in a hospital and she was under for it. Once they were done they brought me right back to recovery and she was waking up. They handed her to me and she nursed right away with no pain for me. She spent the next 2 days nursing almost non stop and I only had to give her Tylenol one time and that was because the nurses at the hospital insisted she get one dose before we left. She wasn't fussy or miserable after.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM

My little guy was 10 days old. His tongue tie was really bad. He couldn't stick his tongue hardly at all and he was destroying my nipples. He did great and and nursing was almost instantly easier for both of us. I was using a nipple shield and I was able to get rid of that 3 or 4 days later. I'm 90% sure had we not gotten it done when we did, I would have given up. The pain was just so bad!  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)