Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Food poisoning? contaminated milk??

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:31 AM
  • 9 Replies
I think I have food poisoning. I EBF. I'm worried that I'm passing it to my son. Im getting mixed answers and concerned. A few people told me to supplement with formula until the food poisoning has run its path. Of course that is the LAST thing I want to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:52 AM
Here's what I would do.
Nurse more frequently, eat and drink more frequently (as in having something to eat at least every hour) and relax.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SeattleBabyBump
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:57 AM
It's only what goes into your blood stream that impacts your milk, so I think you should be fine. Just drink lots of water and eat something mild like crackers. Keep nursing your baby and I hope you feel better asap!!
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
It is perfectly safe to continue to breastfeed. The only case when it wouldn't be was if you were septic, but you would be in the hospital on iv antibiotics, fighting for your life, if that was the case.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Food poisoning is not contagious. **smile**

collinsmommy0
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Totally safe. I had food poisoning & we went to urgent care.....I nursed while they rehydrated me with an IV. The 2 doctors there (both women) were impressed I could nurse my squirmy 7 month old while being hooked up to an IV
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:00 PM
thank you ladies. he has been spitting up tons of clear liquid. doesn't seem to bother him it just all comes up. it started yesterday with the food poisoning. does it have a connection?? or just my imagination?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM

you cant pass food poisoning

K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Spit up is a laundry issue, not a medical one. If he's teething, he could be spitting up extra drool that he has swallowed.
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM
I had food poisoning and ds never was affected. He nursed more mostly because I was not moving and easier to catch. He got salmonella several months later. Doctor said if it wasn't for nursing he'd have been hospitalized from dehydration. Nursing is almost always the best thing in any course.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN