Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

when to add baby cereal to the diet?

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM
  • 55 Replies

Okay my MOTHER IN LAW. is saying OH thats NOT OKAY to just BF.. you NEED TO ADD CEREAL into her DIET.. and Im all um she wont even take a bottle and WHY WOULD I FEED her CEREAL when breast is best. And shes growing perfectly? She's been fussy but there have been changes int he home like daddy went away for a week so DUH shes goona be fussy (its not like I talk to mom in law about my problems anyway I dont like mom in law that much.)

So I have to ask.. when do you add cereal to the diet as a "requirement" or when is it normal to give cereal? I didnt feed DD1 baby cereal till she was like 6 months.. so Im pretty much sticking with that.

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:20 AM
4 moms liked this
Cereal is never required. In fact "iron-fortified" foods actually interfere with the body's ability to absorb that good iron in the breastmilk. And babies can't properly digest grains before a year. Even the AAP now says meats are a better source of iron. NOTHING before 6 months as the gaps in the baby's intestines haven't closed and allow allergens to enter the bloodstream.
goddiddlyumshis
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:21 AM
My babies never had it. It's not necessary, IMO.
I know people who use it to keep their babies fuller longer, but like the poster above me, they can't digest it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Char06
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Baby doesn't *need* anything but breast milk until after a year, but we did solids before then to get used to it and for fun, never did baby cereals though.
spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this

HAHAHA thank you! just wondering what is the "source" for that info so I can tell mother in law and anyone else who wants to interfere with my parenting/breastfeeding?

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Cereal is never required. In fact "iron-fortified" foods actually interfere with the body's ability to absorb that good iron in the breastmilk. And babies can't properly digest grains before a year. Even the AAP now says meats are a better source of iron. NOTHING before 6 months as the gaps in the baby's intestines haven't closed and allow allergens to enter the bloodstream.

SeattleBabyBump
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
MILs have the craziest advice. Sigh. I don't know where they got their info from back in the day but it's nuts I tell ya.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this
I tried to copy and paste some stuff about iron from kellymom but it got all jacked-up. Here's the link. Look at the chart, the amount of iron absorbed in breastmilk!

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/iron/
emkirkley
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

never!

baby cereal is not needed for any child, not even an EBF child.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM
You don't ever have to feed cereal. It's actually not good for a breastfed baby... any baby really... but especially a breastfed baby.
hreynol25
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I gave it to my baby at 5 months. (In a bowl mixed with BM). I didn't give it to him as a meal but to prepare him for solids for month 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)