Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Am I screwing things up

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 6 Replies

Maddox is 6 weeks old now. I've recently introduced a paci but not all the time. Mainly in the  car because he screams without it.Also though at night when he starts unlatching often and acting like he wants to suck but he can't figure out how to not get milk and gets mad. I cannot function with him literally latching then unlatching every 5 minutes so I give him the paci. Also during the day if I've fed him and need to get something done quickly he gets a paci. Anyway, I know it's early in the game so will I screw things up? I want to protect my supply. Thanks! 

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Autumn was the same way. It wont last long. Paci is just making it worse because he wants milk.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
One of my 4 took a pacifier, for the reasons you describe, starting from 2 or 3 weeks. She happily nursed 24 months with never a supply problem. If the baby's latch changes or diapers drop, ditch the binky. Most babies do fine but for others it's the first domino in the cascade of trouble.
JennyLee24
by Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 10:41 AM
My ds takes a paci sometimes..but i only offer it when i know hes not hungry but just wants to suck. Its not hurt my supply at all...but i have an oversupply anyway. I guess if depends on you and the baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 21, 2013 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

If you start hurting when you nurse, you've screwed things up. If not, nope. **smile** The big danger with a pacifier is baby changing the latch. Pacifiers don't say "ouch" and can teach babies to hurt.

mamabens
by Miranda on Aug. 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thanks guys, you'd think I hadn't done this before! Every kid really is different.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It SHOULD be fine, if you see an issue such as low diaper counts, baby refusing to nurse or latch right then you stop the paci

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN