Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Thinking about becomming a lactation consultant

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM
  • 28 Replies
2 moms liked this
But I have no idea where to start. This whole journey with breastfeeding ds is truly amazing and I want to be able to help more moms breastfeed their babies. So I am thinking about being a lactation consultant. But where do I start? Any advice?
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pagan_Mommy84
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:28 AM

Try talking to your OBGYN and telling him/her about it...they should be able to point you in the right direction :)

Andy15
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:20 AM
Oh man! I went to the IBCLC website......it's a lot, I'll have to wait til after the navy...

http://americas.iblce.org/
tarakay0417
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks for the website!

Quoting Andy15:

Oh man! I went to the IBCLC website......it's a lot, I'll have to wait til after the navy...

http://americas.iblce.org/
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Thays awesome! I know becoming a la leche league leader can help.with the process.
Irish_mama_2011
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM

That is awesome, wish I could help you, good luck!

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this
An OBGYN is the last place I would go to ask about being an IBCLC. They know as much about that as how to become an auto mechanic.

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

Try talking to your OBGYN and telling him/her about it...they should be able to point you in the right direction :)

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:13 PM
It's a matter of looking at the IBCLE site and determining which pathway would work for you. There are 3 pathways...all are time consuming.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Mine knew less.

Quoting IrishIz:

An OBGYN is the last place I would go to ask about being an IBCLC. They know as much about that as how to become an auto mechanic.

Quoting Pagan_Mommy84:

tarakay0417
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Ok thanks!

Quoting IrishIz:

It's a matter of looking at the IBCLE site and determining which pathway would work for you. There are 3 pathways...all are time consuming.
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Consider starting by getting trained as a volunteer. You can become a breastfeeding counseolr for Breastfeeding USA https://breastfeedingusa.org/content/becoming-breastfeeding-counselor

or La Leche League.

A lot of lactation consultants start out that way! It is a great way to get the hours you need to sit the IBCLC exam.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)