Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Were you nervous about nursing laying Down? Updated

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:18 AM
  • 23 Replies
1 mom liked this
I mean that's one of the reasons toBF right? Not having to get up,,, I got me a 4 week old and I still get up to nurse her, I want to nurse laying down...but am nervous. I've watched some videos but most seem to be older babies..I'm worried about head control, me falling into a deep sleep... (Which isn't possible...lol) etc

Any tips suggestions?

Update: I tried it.... It wonderful! I got some adjustments to make, but practice makes perfect, so they say.... Lol... Thanks everyone!
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TryingAgain72
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:22 AM
It doesn't work well for me until baby is a little bit bigger but I can't wait for it. Sitting all the way up in bed sucks! My guy is almost two weeks.
Andy15
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Lol. I can't wait either!

Quoting TryingAgain72:

It doesn't work well for me until baby is a little bit bigger but I can't wait for it. Sitting all the way up in bed sucks! My guy is almost two weeks.
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:48 AM

I used lots of pillows under me, (not baby, to prop myself and get comfy.  DD was under my arm a pillow between my shoulder and neck, boppy under my upper body, and body pillow under my hips.  It's actually natural for a BFing mom to sleep with her newborn.  I saw a study on the news that showed that moms were more in tune to their baby stirring and even stirred from a deep sleep if baby wiggled.  I think the more it started happening on accident the more I realized it was OK. 

Andy15
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM
That's a ton of pillows!!

I suppose practice is key here

Quoting audmom1218:

I used lots of pillows under me, (not baby, to prop myself and get comfy.  DD was under my arm a pillow between my shoulder and neck, boppy under my upper body, and body pillow under my hips.  It's actually natural for a BFing mom to sleep with her newborn.  I saw a study on the news that showed that moms were more in tune to their baby stirring and even stirred from a deep sleep if baby wiggled.  I think the more it started happening on accident the more I realized it was OK. 

audmom1218
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Haha, yes it was!! I was also going through gallbladder attacks though, and I didn't know what they were, I thought they back pain from trying to nurse sitting up in bed, so that's why my IBCLC helped me figure out how to nurse side-lying.  (Didn't help the back pain but it helped me get more sleep once the attack stopped!!) 

Quoting Andy15:

That's a ton of pillows!!

I suppose practice is key here

Quoting audmom1218:

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

To me that's the simplest nursing position. You just lay down, no holding,or propping! If your scared just don't fall asleep...

PadysMomy
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM
I tried it once, it wasn't comfortable. you can try sitting on ur couch w ur legs up on the cushions, put a pillow behind ur back and use a nursing pillow to support the baby. Note: have the baby's head pointing in the direction of the upright cushions. You can put ur legs on top of a pillow if you want (this is optional)

Hope this helps.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
It took me months to figure out side nursing with my first but by my second, for my survival and sanity, I had it figured out the day home from the hospital. I have a nice long coosh pillow I put behind my back so I'm somewhere between being on my back and on my side. Breastfeeding and cosleeping have made me ridiculously responsive to the baby. I'd wake when the baby squeaked, well before a cry.
Jenalex04
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM
I started side nursing when he was about a week old. He's almost 5 weeks now. I was falling asleep sitting straight up with him! So I feel like the side nursing is much safer. I wake up to any little movement from him so I'm not concerned. I'm getting a lot of sleep now. I love it!
OBImomma
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM
I took me a while to figure it out with my first. But with my other 2 it was no problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN