Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

He wants to wean, but I don't.

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM
  • 40 Replies
My plan was to wean DD when she turned 2. She will be 2 next Friday (Aug 30). DH still believes I'm going to have her weaned by then. She nurses 2, maybe 3 times a day. Sometimes not at all. It depends. Mostly it is at nap and bedtime. Sometimes when she wakes up. She asks for it. If I say no she some times fusses and sometimes will just accept the no.

When I do say yes she is super happy! She says "yes!" Or huffs all excitedly. It instantly calms her and she's able to go to sleep easily, even if she's sick, teething or cranky. I don't nurse her to sleep. I nurse her until she's drowsy then lay her in bed awake and she goes to sleep.

DH is adamant that she is too old and stayed okay with up to two because of the WHO recommendation. But now he says 2 is enough and I need to let this go she's not a baby anymore. He thinks I want to continue to try to keep her a baby because she's my last child.

How can I explain to him that she just needs it still sometimes? And that when she is done she will know it and so will I.

Or should I just give it up and force DD to wean?
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I would do what I want and just not talk to dh about it since its going to cause problems. You are still her mother and as long as you are its your decision. She isn't completely dependent so there really isn't any problem here. If you outright refuse all the time she is likely to regress and fight over it. If you continie on the limited terms you are already one it won't be long. A BIRTHDAY SHOULD HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IMPACT ON IT!! Sorry hon. Best I can say.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:22 PM
I agree with GoldenLinds. It's your body and ultimately your decision. Maybe Gina's advice would be good here.... I don't want to write her saying. I'll butcher it lol.
Ptitchou
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:25 PM
Then he can stop nursing her when she turns two?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Your breasts, YOUR decision. Sorry, there are certain things in which dad does NOT get a say. This is one of them.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM

You can also ask him, "What is the WORST that can happen if I don't wean her now?" 

And ask him to do the research,. His "feelings" in this count for zero.

mommy1990426
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with your dh. 2 is old for bf. unless its put in a cup or something.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM

Do you know how hard it is to pump at this age? How many benefits are lost by not directly nursing?

Quoting mommy1990426:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask him to find any documented negatives abut bfing past age 2

mommy1990426
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

No I have never breastfed that long to know, But after researching because I wondered why people do it, most research shows it's not necessary as far as nutrional benefits go. Maybe it's just a feeling close thing? But even then I think it's old. Breastfeeding a baby or even up to one, is very natural. If I lived in a deserted island or where there was no food for my child I might consider it.  but not just to do it. Apparently I am not the only one who fully supports breastfeeding that thinks that either. I think her husband has grounds to stand on here. Even when a child has allergies it is recommended for them to have breastmilk until 2, but after that is just too much.

As far as debate in this matter goes, obviously it's her kid, she can do what she wants, but 1, it doesn't look right, and 2. theres is really no point in it after researching the issue. I was just stating that I agree with her husband that 2 years old is too old.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Do you know how hard it is to pump at this age? How many benefits are lost by not directly nursing?

Quoting mommy1990426:

MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:02 PM
And not to mention I could rarely get even a 1/2 oz out when my kids were a few weeks old! I've never been able to pump. It would take me 5-6 sessions to get a 2 oz bottle! Now, I'm afraid I would get nothing.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Quoting mommy1990426:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)