Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

New and needing advice

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi, I'm Katie and one of the moms in my due date group suggested I join here... I am nursing my two week old newborn and in need of some troubleshooting perhaps...

Since late last night Jordyn has been feeding more frequently and for shorter periods than usual, she's also had to be coaxed to latch, she's fussy and wants to be held and rocked constantly ... Just really "off" from her normal patterns. I set her in the swing (can't remember if I even turned it on, honestly) just so I could pack the diaper bag for her appointment today, as we were literally just about ready to walk out the door, and she projectile vomited EVERYWHERE, not normal urp or spit up babies normally do, but like SICK sick :( Doc wants to keep an eye on things and if it repeats will do a stomach ultrasound to rule out pyloric stenosis, I'm hoping its just a little bug and she'll be back to herself soon though, or maybe its something even more simple??? Could it have anything to do with the way she occasionally seems to choke or hold her breath while feeding and she'll cry and has to catch her breath back before re-latching? Reflux runs on both sides of the family, but I've also kept my diet mild. My six year old developed milk protein/ dairy sensitivity as an infant, but it presented with totally different symptoms - sadly I was told I couldn't nurse at that point (she was placed on Alimentum) and did not have resources made available to educate myself otherwise then, but based on the advice of other more experienced nursing moms in my DDG I've been limiting my dairy intake as a precaution this time... I just don't know, and I just want my baby to feel better! Has anyone had any of their babies deal with anything like this? 

Additional notes that may or may not be pertinent: so far I've nursed on demand, though she generally follows a predictable schedule on her own, naturally, and she frequently gets hiccups during feedings.

Any advice or guidance would be welcome!

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bebe_ju-rah
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM
OAL?
djscinnabun
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Sorry, what does that stand for?

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

OAL?

kryjen
by Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 11:46 PM

Over active let down.  It means your milk could be coming out too fast for her.  You could try pumping first, or baby off just as let down happens and express by hand onto a cloth or into a container to help ease that flow a bit.  I'm guessing she wants to switch because when she gets the let down it is too much for her so she'd prefer the slower flow.  The faster flow can also cause your other issues, the coughing and sputtering, and the upset tummy.  Also, try nursing her where you're on your back and she's on your chest, or lying down.  Anything that reduces the help of gravity on your flow.  Good luck!

djscinnabun
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Thank you, I'll try working on this tonight!

Quoting kryjen:

Over active let down.  It means your milk could be coming out too fast for her.  You could try pumping first, or baby off just as let down happens and express by hand onto a cloth or into a container to help ease that flow a bit.  I'm guessing she wants to switch because when she gets the let down it is too much for her so she'd prefer the slower flow.  The faster flow can also cause your other issues, the coughing and sputtering, and the upset tummy.  Also, try nursing her where you're on your back and she's on your chest, or lying down.  Anything that reduces the help of gravity on your flow.  Good luck!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:12 AM

Quoting djscinnabun:

Hi, I'm Katie and one of the moms in my due date group suggested I join here... I am nursing my two week old newborn and in need of some troubleshooting perhaps...

Since late last night Jordyn has been feeding more frequently and for shorter periods than usual,

Normal for the age.

she's also had to be coaxed to latch, she's fussy and wants to be held and rocked constantly ... Just really "off" from her normal patterns.

All normal for the age. Don't get used to any pattern. Too early. They will change continually for the next year.

I set her in the swing (can't remember if I even turned it on, honestly) just so I could pack the diaper bag for her appointment today, as we were literally just about ready to walk out the door, and she projectile vomited EVERYWHERE, not normal urp or spit up babies normally do, but like SICK sick :(

That happens occasionally. If she's still wetting enough dipes, it's just a laundry problem. It MIGHT be due to overactive letdown. Or it might merely be due to being in the swing.

Doc wants to keep an eye on things and if it repeats will do a stomach ultrasound to rule out pyloric stenosis, I'm hoping its just a little bug and she'll be back to herself soon though, or maybe its something even more simple??? Could it have anything to do with the way she occasionally seems to choke or hold her breath while feeding and she'll cry and has to catch her breath back before re-latching?

Oh, HECK YES. Fast letdown. I see someone else has already given you info. It's nowhere near pyloric stenosis. (Doc's hearing hoofbeats and thinking zebras instead of horses.)

Reflux runs on both sides of the family, but I've also kept my diet mild.

No need to worry about your diet. Eat and drink as you like. With fast letdown it doesn't matter what you eat. It matters how you position baby... never ever UNDER the breast, always OVER the breast. Lean back. Baby lies on top, tummy to tummy. Latch. Gravity does the rest.

My six year old developed milk protein/ dairy sensitivity as an infant, but it presented with totally different symptoms - sadly I was told I couldn't nurse at that point

Fast letdown is a "mom" symptom and is often misdiagnosed. Very likely that was the problem then.

(she was placed on Alimentum) and did not have resources made available to educate myself otherwise then, but based on the advice of other more experienced nursing moms in my DDG I've been limiting my dairy intake as a precaution this time... I just don't know, and I just want my baby to feel better! Has anyone had any of their babies deal with anything like this? 

Additional notes that may or may not be pertinent: so far I've nursed on demand, though she generally follows a predictable schedule on her own, naturally, and she frequently gets hiccups during feedings.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

This is one of the least known yet most prevalent issues for new moms.

djscinnabun
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM

Thank you for the additional insight and information - what I wouldn't give to have had access to all this six years ago when I'd had my first daughter!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting djscinnabun:

Since late last night Jordyn has been feeding more frequently and for shorter periods than usual,

Normal for the age.

she's also had to be coaxed to latch, she's fussy and wants to be held and rocked constantly ... Just really "off" from her normal patterns.

All normal for the age. Don't get used to any pattern. Too early. They will change continually for the next year.

I set her in the swing (can't remember if I even turned it on, honestly) just so I could pack the diaper bag for her appointment today, as we were literally just about ready to walk out the door, and she projectile vomited EVERYWHERE, not normal urp or spit up babies normally do, but like SICK sick :(

That happens occasionally. If she's still wetting enough dipes, it's just a laundry problem. It MIGHT be due to overactive letdown. Or it might merely be due to being in the swing.

Doc wants to keep an eye on things and if it repeats will do a stomach ultrasound to rule out pyloric stenosis, I'm hoping its just a little bug and she'll be back to herself soon though, or maybe its something even more simple??? Could it have anything to do with the way she occasionally seems to choke or hold her breath while feeding and she'll cry and has to catch her breath back before re-latching?

Oh, HECK YES. Fast letdown. I see someone else has already given you info. It's nowhere near pyloric stenosis. (Doc's hearing hoofbeats and thinking zebras instead of horses.)

Reflux runs on both sides of the family, but I've also kept my diet mild.

No need to worry about your diet. Eat and drink as you like. With fast letdown it doesn't matter what you eat. It matters how you position baby... never ever UNDER the breast, always OVER the breast. Lean back. Baby lies on top, tummy to tummy. Latch. Gravity does the rest.

My six year old developed milk protein/ dairy sensitivity as an infant, but it presented with totally different symptoms - sadly I was told I couldn't nurse at that point

Fast letdown is a "mom" symptom and is often misdiagnosed. Very likely that was the problem then.

(she was placed on Alimentum) and did not have resources made available to educate myself otherwise then, but based on the advice of other more experienced nursing moms in my DDG I've been limiting my dairy intake as a precaution this time... I just don't know, and I just want my baby to feel better! Has anyone had any of their babies deal with anything like this? 

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

This is one of the least known yet most prevalent issues for new moms.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Spread the word to your friends about sites like this one. I learned about OAL online myself; it wasn't in anything I'd read in a book.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 24, 2013 at 7:48 AM
I agree it's sounds like classic OAL. All of my babies presented symptoms because of it but I'd never heard of OAL/oversupply until my third baby. I swear every pediatric practice should have an IBCLC. I've yet to come across a pediatrician whose ever heard of it. They simply diagnose it as reflux or cow protein allergy and medicate or suggest formula. I just got lucky with my third by birthing in a different hospital with a different LC then I'd had with my first 2.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)