Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I was successful before, can I be again?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 16 Replies

So I had baby number three Wednesday morning.  A beautiful homebirth in my bath tub.  I will mention that this little one is a boy, I have 2 daughters that I nursed successfully, even with over supply and over active let down.  But I wonder if I will be able to be successful with my son.  Here is why:

1.  My son's lower jaw is slightly set back.  Most likely a muscle issue and will correct, but it makes latching harder than my girls, and it doesn appear to be a more closed mouth.  Now, nursing is not painful, aside from the initial getting him latched, but that only lasts a few seconds then we are good.  No bleeding or blistering of my nipples.

2.  My milk has come in, but not like it did with my girls.  With both my girls I woke up with rock hard boobs that were like twice the size when my milk came in.  This time they only feel fuller, and are only slightly bigger.  With my girls I also had to wear nursing pads 24/7 because I would leak(between feeds, when nursing one side, leak from the other).  I wear them, but the leakage has not even been close this time.

3. With my girls I always got the magic tingle of letdown.  This time, nothing.  He is obviously getting milk, as you can see his suck swallow pattern and sometimes some milk at the corner of his mouth. 

Now, I know he is doing good because his poops are/have transitioned from the mec to breastmilk poops(hello diaper explosions!), and when the midwife came for a home visit yesterday he was only down 2 oz from birth weight.  Please tell me this is normal and that I can stop stressing!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM

In answer to your title question the ansswer is ALWAYS YES.

Quoting Suz_and_Ash:

So I had baby number three Wednesday morning.  A beautiful homebirth in my bath tub.  I will mention that this little one is a boy, I have 2 daughters that I nursed successfully, even with over supply and over active let down.  But I wonder if I will be able to be successful with my son.  Here is why:

1.  My son's lower jaw is slightly set back.  Most likely a muscle issue and will correct, but it makes latching harder than my girls, and it doesn appear to be a more closed mouth.  Now, nursing is not painful, aside from the initial getting him latched, but that only lasts a few seconds then we are good.  No bleeding or blistering of my nipples.

First mark of success.

2.  My milk has come in, but not like it did with my girls.  With both my girls I woke up with rock hard boobs that were like twice the size when my milk came in.  This time they only feel fuller, and are only slightly bigger.  With my girls I also had to wear nursing pads 24/7 because I would leak(between feeds, when nursing one side, leak from the other).  I wear them, but the leakage has not even been close this time.

Second mark of success. Your body knows better what to do.

3. With my girls I always got the magic tingle of letdown.  This time, nothing.  He is obviously getting milk, as you can see his suck swallow pattern and sometimes some milk at the corner of his mouth. 

Third markl of success.

Now, I know he is doing good because his poops are/have transitioned from the mec to breastmilk poops(hello diaper explosions!), and when the midwife came for a home visit yesterday he was only down 2 oz from birth weight.  Please tell me this is normal and that I can stop stressing!

Stop stressing. You want to worry about something, go price college for three kids. The breastfeeding is PERFECT. You're already where most moms take six weeks to reach.

amandaut99
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:28 PM

I have been having the same issues. My LO is now 2 weeks old and I have just started to get the let-down tingle and leaking. Maybe it just takes a little longer the third time around?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Some of us never feel the letdown, and for some it almost hurts. Both ways are normal. And the fact that your breasts are not hard is a good thing--rock hard engorgement actually slows milk production in the long run. If it's not hurting, he is making good diaper counts and is starting to gain, he's fine!
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:43 PM

My guess is that by take 3 your body has figured out what it needs to do (hence the lack of painful engorgement and letdown).  Keep counting those diapers and enjoy your newbie!! 

gumeshoe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM

If understanding letdown or feeling it was required I would be short. Never have felt a thing, Baby is 10 months old and 29 or 30 in long. :)

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Great job mama!
First off, i am nursing my 2 week old, she is.my fourth and i barely had any engorgment and hardly any oal. She is doing wonderfully in weight gain and diapers. She only lost 2 oz as well and gain a lot back!

Second, my mom.successfully breastfed.my brother for 3-4 years, and he has downs syndrome and autism. With downs it majes breastfeeding challenging for many reasons, one being low muscle tone.....but she nursed for many years and never even gave him a bottle or formula.

So to answer your question.....yes! You hace already been successful, keep up the good work!
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM
And to add, from what i heard from.several.friends is that engorgment can also be diet related, for moms who are sensitive to.gluten or other foods that can cause swelling. Maybe your diet has something to do with no dealing with engorgment and oal?
JennyLee24
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM
I really wish this let down feeling would go away bc it hurts so bad. :( and the leaking is annoying. Sounds like u are doing just fine tho.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Suz_and_Ash
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Thanks everyone. I was concerned because so far this experience has been so different then with both my daughters.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:23 AM
2 moms liked this

Wisdom from the women of my family, who between them raised 40 children...

Every time you birth, forget you ever did it before. Because nothing will be the same.

Quoting Suz_and_Ash:

Thanks everyone. I was concerned because so far this experience has been so different then with both my daughters.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)