Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

bedsharing and sick

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:52 AM
  • 13 Replies
I know when you're sick it's best to keep nursing but what about bedsharing? I feel the start of the cold coming on and I put Autumn to sleep in her bassinette so I won't get her sick. My bed feels so empty. :(
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Why would it change anything?  Unless you were SOOO sick that you were taking meds that made you drowsy or something.  (In which case, you may not be able to nurse anyway.  Not sure on that one.)

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Aug. 25, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Idk. This is first baby I bedshared with and breastfed this long I figured since my sicky self is close to her she would catch it faster.

Quoting jackiewal10:

Why would it change anything?  Unless you were SOOO sick that you were taking meds that made you drowsy or something.  (In which case, you may not be able to nurse anyway.  Not sure on that one.)

mama-smurf
by Felisha on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Im sorry. Ill check post. Later. This cold hit me all at once. All because my bf (im visiting him) constantly hot and sweatng ao he has AC blasted 24/7
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Unless sleeping is the only time you're near her, she is either going to get sick or she's not. If its so cold in there it's probably best to have her with you anyway. Body warmth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SeattleBabyBump
by Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Wouldn't she get more germs from drinking your milk than from just being next to you? I see no reason not to bed share as long as you are alert and not taking meds that make you drowsy.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Put her back in bed. She's already been exposed, you're already making antibodies in your milk to protect her, and it will be easier on you!
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Nope. Keep her with you. Like pps said she is already exposed to your germs (the germs are there before you begin to feel ill. Only reason to stop would be if you're taking meds like NyQuil.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 25, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Any precaution you can take to stay out of her face while still nursing as much as possible wouldn't be a bad idea. Contrary to popular belief, a lot of viruses (including some flu strains) aren't contagious until you're symptomatic and are most contagious when symptoms are raging. I would make sure my sheets and pillow cases were washed and put her back in bed with me though. Hope you feel better soon. The flu, strep throat and upper respiratory illnesses are going around like crazy right now. I had 4 kids test positive for the flu last week and 8 for strep! Very unusual for August. Take care of yourself.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Babies don't get germs from drinking breastmilk. Instead, they get antibodies to fight any germs that mom has been exposed to. If baby is directly breastfed (as opposed to mom pumping and bottlefeeding), baby's saliva on mom's breast tells her body what germs baby has been exposed to as well and antibodies for those appear in milk within the next several hours. It's pretty cool!

Quoting SeattleBabyBump:

Wouldn't she get more germs from drinking your milk than from just being next to you? I see no reason not to bed share as long as you are alert and not taking meds that make you drowsy.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM
You can nurse while taking almost every otc medication, but you're right about bedsharing being unsafe with some of them.

Quoting jackiewal10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN