Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need help?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM
  • 8 Replies
Okay so everyday except for today and yesterday I was pumping 6 to 7 oz from both breats. Now I'm lucky if I get 3 to 4 from both. I am pumping because I am at work but once I get home I breastfeed. Once he is on my breast he gets milk quick but I have to put him on both in order for him to get full I never had to do that. Is my milk drying up? My breast feel soft and not full at all! I am freaking out! I want to keep breastfeeding my son!! What can I do? What can be wrong? I seriously on the verge of crying because I think I'm not going to be able to keep breastfeeding him. I eat right and drink a lot of water. I stay away from sodas and I pumo eveey 2-3 hours. I use a manual pump.
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:08 PM

How old is he?  about 3-4 months?

mylovelylife
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM
He will be 2 months on the 29 what I pump out I would store it so my mom could feed while I am at work
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Not to worry--you have had a pretty good oversupply which is beginning to regulate itself. Normal pump results are .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined per session, so you're still above normal. A soft breast is a good thing--the full, engorged breast is actually gettin.g the message to make less. Nursing on both sides at each feeding is also fine. Your pumping schedule is also fine. He only needs 1-1.25 ounces for each hour you are away from him, fed with the slowest flow nipple that is made. This never changes, because your breastmilk changes its makeup to meet his needs. Take a look on kellymom.com at the article, "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby". It has everything you need to know. Print a copy for your caregivers, too.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Yea, you're just regulating.   6-7oz per session is a massive amount and you can't really expect to maintain that kind of output.   3-4oz is still pretty high and it may decrease more in the coming months.  

mylovelylife
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM
So what I'm pumping right now will be fine he eats every 2 going on 3 hoursnim afraid that won't be enough output.
jmaw89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Yep you're fine! Just supply regulating. Take a look on kellymom.com to make sure he's being des properly when you're separated otherwise chances of long term bf are low. On the bright side you have plenty of milk :)
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM
The idea is that the bottles are just to tie him over until you get home to feed him. Pumping on non-working days at least once is also a good idea. The trick is to feed the bottle slowly, burping after each ounce, so his brain has time to signal his stomach that he's getting full. Overfeeding and feeding too fast from the bottle can hurt your breastfeeding relationship. The kellymom article explains why this is so.
mylovelylife
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Thank you so much I have read some of her stuff but I will be rereading them again.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN