Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Supply issue, or my nerves getting the best of me??

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM
  • 11 Replies

Hello, My name is Christi, and I'm new on this board! I just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience, or if I could get any advice. My son will be 7 months old next week, and I'm a stay at home mommy. I have been BF him, no formula, since day one. He began solids at 5 and a half months, and is still just getting a small amount once per day around lunchtime. (mostly homemade fruits and veggies, plus a little Gerber oatmeal a few times per week). We co-slept until 2 weeks ago, when I transitioned him into his crib. He still wakes 2-3 times per night for feedings. I figured I would see a small drop in my supply since he used to just hang out on my breast all night and now he doesn't, but I'm getting nervous!! I feel like I'm losing my milk! I never feel full anymore, and my breasts have shrunk, which has never happened before now. Also, my son seems more frustrated when feeding...he seems a little unsatisfied to me. He has even started biting me when feeding!! I'm seeing plenty of wet diapers, but I'm confused here.....does anyone have anything to share about what I"m going through? Is it a combo of teething, solids and night time separation?? I really don't want to use formula at all, but I'm worried that if I continue to drop that's what will happen. I have a call into the LC and am waiting for a call back. Help a nervous FTM out if you can....thank you :-)

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

If diaper count is fine...supply is fine. (:  Babies are fussy beings.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:30 AM
diapercount is 6 wet 2 poop right?

Quoting Mom2Just1:

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this
You've regulated. You don't want full breast, you was soft floppy breast. Full breast tell you body you are making too much and to slow down production. As far as baby he is making up for missed feeds and teething almost always changes nursing habits. Make sure you are nursing before any solids and ditch the cereal. Baby doesn't have the needed enzyme to break it down yet and the added iron in it blocks the natural iron in breastmilk and can cause anemia.
LuckyClover2413
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I'm not sure what's normal for diaper count at this age, but he definitely has more than 6 wet....I'd say more like 8-9 per day.  His poops vary since starting solids, but usually one each day or every other day.  What's thrown me off is my breasts shrinking and softening, and his fussinss at feedings :-(

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

YOu're perfect.  

Quoting spitfire06:

diapercount is 6 wet 2 poop right?

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I have always had a major oversupply and my breasts went from full C when the milk came in to my now shriveled size B. Breasts are constantly making milk as it is removed from the breast so the fact that you are smaller means nothing. Your diaper count is pretty high for a seven month old too so he is definitely getting enough.

I highly doubt a seven month old would even drink formula after 7 months of breastmilk. It's nasty stuff and you don't need it anyway.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM
The change in your breasts means nothing except you're making EXACTLY the amount demanded by your baby. The fussiness could be due to a growth spurt, teething, or many other things. You're changing way more diapers than is needed at this age. At that age, I was changing a couple of SOAKED diapers every day, and sometimes a regular wet one, and a random poopy diaper.

Quoting LuckyClover2413:

I'm not sure what's normal for diaper count at this age, but he definitely has more than 6 wet....I'd say more like 8-9 per day.  His poops vary since starting solids, but usually one each day or every other day.  What's thrown me off is my breasts shrinking and softening, and his fussinss at feedings :-(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Desired count at this point is about 5 per day.

OP, you are PERFECT! Never ever pay attention to how your breasts feel. That means nothing.

Quoting LuckyClover2413:

LuckyClover2413
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Oh wow....I just can't have him sitting in a wet diaper for too long as he has sensitive skin.  Th only soaked diaper is the first one of the morning.  I'm sure I do change him more often than really needed though!!  And I did speak to the LC and she also reassured me that everything sounds great.  I'm just surprised that it took almost 7 months for my breasts to regulate....weird.  Thanks again everyone for the advice and reassurance :-)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't say that I let my baby sit in a wet diaper. He had started to learn some control and only went a few times a day, so he had really soaked diapers. Counting them as 2 diapers, he usually only had 4-6 diapers per day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN