Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

She never seems satisfied...(Formula/breast milk)

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM
  • 19 Replies

Note: I posted this in another group, so it might get a little confusing since there are two parts. 

Well, not a day goes by since Anaiese has been born I don't think about this. 

I'm currently breastfeeding/formula her. I'm not producing enough milk for some reason, so I have to substitute with formula. 

My pedi says 24 oz in 24 hours. 

I feed her 2 oz every 2 hours...not even an hour and half goes by and she's screaming for more...sometimes even after feeding she's still hungry. 

With breastmilk, it digests faster then formula.

But she eats more formula right now than breastmilk. I'm afriad of over feeding her. Some say feed on demand, they know when to stop. Some give their kids 4 oz....My neighbor behind me is feeding her newborn 4 oz every 2 hours, and he's chunky!! 

I don't know...I just don't want her to be hungry, yet I don't want to over feed her. 

Can some of you shine the light here and give me some advice...what're you doing with your newborns?

****Part 2****

For the first week after she was born I did nothing but pump because I found it so much easier to bottle feed her. She had a problem latching which frustrated her and me as well. After reading on pumping I know now it hurts my supply significantly. Now for the past two weeks I've given her the breast. She's latching on perfectly but like I said, I'm not making enough. 

My breasts are super soft and my breast pads are not full anymore like they were the first week. Sure she's getting some...but right after formula. She's just HUNGRY! 

I give her as much as the breast as I can throughtout the day, BUT I'm worried about when I go back to work. I can't breast feed her at work. Which is why I'm giving her the bottle. Though I know my option is to pump, but like I said..with the pump I get about 1/4 oz when it used to be 2. I do not make enough to even freeze for future feedings..which I was clearly hoping on.

Now I didn't breastfeed with my first...so this is a major step for me. I didn't read on this back in my teen years...I want nothing but the best for her, which is why I'm trying.I'm not giving up, but I have to supplement. 

I know if I keep giving her the breast, maybe I'll produce more..but it's been two weeks already. :/ 

No, I haven't seen an LC. My doc didn't even reccomend it, hell I don't even know if we have one in this small ass town. :/ All I'm doing so far is staying hydrated, eating (but not much) and taking my prenatals. 

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Well first off satisfied is NOT what you are looking for. Diapers are the only way to know she is getting enough. Second off what you are going through is exactly why breastfeeding mothers are encouraged to avoid formula, it's a slippery slope. It starts off as a supplement and before you realize it baby is getting more formula than breastmilk. Formula kills your supply because every ounce you give is an ounce your body is simply not going to make. My advice is first off ditch the bottles. You should never be giving her a bottle. She is getting so much formula at this point giving it up cold turkey isn't a good idea. So I would see about getting an SNS. That way your breast are being stimulated and baby is getting enough. You can then slowly drop the supplements. You want your breast to feel soft, not full. Full breast tells your body too much is being made and to slow down production. My guess is you were making enough to begin with but just didn't know what to look for. 2 ounces every 2 hours is a full feed for a newborn. So she is used to filling over full already. Sounds like you didn't get enough help or the proper information from the people you trusted. That sucks and is way too common! Good luck! I hope you get it figured out!
kellymom127
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:07 AM

if you think you are not producing enough it is probably because you are supplementing; your body doesn't know to make more. At the beginning they want to be at breast a lot and that is ok. I would ditch the bottles and just nurse nurse nurse!!!

itann
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Growth spurt!! Didn't the ped say anything about it?! My son didn't latch well until 4 weeks of his age. I had very sored nipple & even they bled. Then I saw a YouTube video & corrected it. I was kind of determined that no matter what I won't give him formula. I never licked any milk & when I pump, it's 1/2 oz both breast together & 1 oz max if I'm lucky. So I kept breastfeeding him. Babies can empty the breast more efficiently than pumps. During the growth spurts, babies don't seem satisfied. My son sucks 1 or 2 times & cries for a while, again he tries to reach for the breast. That's how growth spurt works. I feeed him whole day. He keeps sucking. And when I go for shower, he screams his head off. DH feeds me if he's home cause I'm busy feeding my son. Trust me, there's not a single person there (except for DH)who said I'm not feeding my son enough. Babies don't cry if they are getting enuf. All I tried to see if he is producing enuf wet diapers (6-8, poops=2 wet dipes). 3 of my frnds switched to formula, bcz they thought the same. Crying baby= not enough BM. Only I am still EBFing my son. Growth spurt can stays 3-7 day. Sometimes longer like my son had 7 weeks long growth spurt!!
H.Perales
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Okay. I see what you're all saying. 

Another question, if I'm supposed to ditch the bottles, what do I do when I go back to work? I won't be there to BF her. :/

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM
A bottle can be given(with a slow flow nipple, never more than 3 ounces, burped after every ounce) when you aren't around, just not when you are there.

Quoting H.Perales:

Another question, if I'm supposed to ditch the bottles, what do I do when I go back to work? I won't be there to BF her. :/

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM
First off-- take her to bed with you, both of you topless, for 24-48 hours--more if you can swing it. Nurse her every time she wiggles. Keep switching sides as she lets go on her own until she falls asleep. Let her sleep on you if you can. Watch the diaper count. You want a minimum of 6 in 24 hours, with poopy or extra wet counting as two. If you need to supplement at the end of the day, use a dropper, shot glass, SNS, or something other than a bottle.

Be aware that most doctors know nothing about breastfeeding, supply, problem solving or appropriate weight gain for breastfed babies. Yours probably doesn't know about lactation consultants, either you can Google "find an IBCLC in ___" to see if there is one near you. Also check La Leche League at LLLI.org.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:08 PM
This. You likely never had a supply problem until you began supplementing. A newborn is supposed to practically live at the breast. She will be unhappy for a couple of days but as long as you get six diapers (four tablespoons of water is one. More is two. Poop is always two.) In a day then she is getting plenty!. Once you get your total supply back to where it is supposed to be then I'm sure your pump output while at work will be much better also.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

First off-- take her to bed with you, both of you topless, for 24-48 hours--more if you can swing it. Nurse her every time she wiggles. Keep switching sides as she lets go on her own until she falls asleep. Let her sleep on you if you can. Watch the diaper count. You want a minimum of 6 in 24 hours, with poopy or extra wet counting as two. If you need to supplement at the end of the day, use a dropper, shot glass, SNS, or something other than a bottle.

Be aware that most doctors know nothing about breastfeeding, supply, problem solving or appropriate weight gain for breastfed babies. Yours probably doesn't know about lactation consultants, either you can Google "find an IBCLC in ___" to see if there is one near you. Also check La Leche League at LLLI.org.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Quoting H.Perales:

Deal with bottles when the time comes.  For now, you want to work on establishing nursing and your supply.  

You can drop the bottles altogether, do some intensive nursing for a few days and watch diapers... or wean back the formula an oz or two every few days until it's gone.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
freemane
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM
If she seems unsatisfied, just keep her on the breast. It will calm her down and stimulate your production. Like everyone has said, keep an eye on her out put. It is certainly possible that she is going thru a growth spurt, or that formula has left her accustomed to feeling over-full, but either way- more boobie time should solve the problem.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I'm going to start with the title. "Satisfied" is a dirty word when used regarding a baby. In the interest of survival they're supposed to be unsatisfied. Beware the "satisfied" baby.

Quoting H.Perales:

Note: I posted this in another group, so it might get a little confusing since there are two parts. 

Well, not a day goes by since Anaiese has been born I don't think about this. 

I'm currently breastfeeding/formula her. I'm not producing enough milk for some reason, so I have to substitute with formula. 

What leads you to believe that? How many dipes? That's ALL that counts. 

My pedi says 24 oz in 24 hours. 

Correct.

I feed her 2 oz every 2 hours...not even an hour and half goes by and she's screaming for more...sometimes even after feeding she's still hungry. 

She's SUPPOSED to be. Just put her to breast. Expect her to be there All. The. Time. It will let up but not for quite a while.

With breastmilk, it digests faster then formula.

But she eats more formula right now than breastmilk. I'm afriad of over feeding her. Some say feed on demand, they know when to stop. Some give their kids 4 oz....My neighbor behind me is feeding her newborn 4 oz every 2 hours, and he's chunky!! 

I don't know...I just don't want her to be hungry, yet I don't want to over feed her. 

Can some of you shine the light here and give me some advice...what're you doing with your newborns?

Feed ON DEMAND. Don't mess with the bottles. ON DEMAND. Baby's demand drives it all. Count dipes. 6-8 changes per day. That's all that matters. Never mind what others are doing (neighbor is overfeeding).

****Part 2****

For the first week after she was born I did nothing but pump because I found it so much easier to bottle feed her. She had a problem latching which frustrated her and me as well. After reading on pumping I know now it hurts my supply significantly. Now for the past two weeks I've given her the breast. She's latching on perfectly but like I said, I'm not making enough. 

My breasts are super soft and my breast pads are not full anymore like they were the first week. Sure she's getting some...but right after formula. She's just HUNGRY! 

She's SUPPOSED to be. Let her hang out on the breast. That's what she's supposed to do.

I give her as much as the breast as I can throughtout the day, BUT I'm worried about when I go back to work. I can't breast feed her at work. Which is why I'm giving her the bottle. Though I know my option is to pump, but like I said..with the pump I get about 1/4 oz when it used to be 2. I do not make enough to even freeze for future feedings..which I was clearly hoping on.

Now I didn't breastfeed with my first...so this is a major step for me. I didn't read on this back in my teen years...I want nothing but the best for her, which is why I'm trying.I'm not giving up, but I have to supplement. 

I know if I keep giving her the breast, maybe I'll produce more..but it's been two weeks already. :/ 

Takes SIX weeks to establish supply. Put her to breast. Leave her there. You'll be doing fine if you do that. REALLY!

No, I haven't seen an LC. My doc didn't even reccomend it, hell I don't even know if we have one in this small ass town. :/ All I'm doing so far is staying hydrated, eating (but not much) and taking my prenatals. 

Put her to breast. LEAVE her there. Expect to do nothing but breastfeed for the next couple of weeks. You will be FINE for going back to work, promise. But stop thinking you need to do anything but feed the baby for now. The only job that counts at this moment is feeding the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)