Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

7 mo. old.. only 12 lb.. Dr is worried.

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM
  • 25 Replies
My DD is almost 7 mo old, started introducing solids lately. N and she's loving it. But.. She's only 12 lb 1.8oz, she was 6lb 14oz at birth. She's strictly breastfed other then now the solids (never had a drop of formula). The Dr is worried about her slow weight gain. I really don't want to do formula. This is breaking my heart. Do any of you have advise on stuff to plump her up a Lil bit to make Dr happy?
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Always nurse before solids. Try to give her naturally fattening foods such as avacado, sweet potatoes etc. What was her LOWEST weight, not birth weight?
mommy-of-3-lils
by Nicole on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:49 PM
She,was in the nicu for a month.. So she had water weight on her... Her birth weight was the,lowest
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Was she a preemie?
mommy-of-3-lils
by Nicole on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:22 PM
No. She was born on time. But she had a condition called PPHN (persistent pulmonary hypertension of a newborn) it's where her heart and lungs didn't transition to baby.. They were still working as if she was inside still.. She was on all kinds of Ivs, in a,medically induced coma for 3 weeks. She had a rough start
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Then in my non professional opinion, she is doing amazing. She should have gained seven pounds by seven months. She's not far off that mark... and your breast milk has far more calories than formula.

Quoting mommy-of-3-lils:

No. She was born on time. But she had a condition called PPHN (persistent pulmonary hypertension of a newborn) it's where her heart and lungs didn't transition to baby.. They were still working as if she was inside still.. She was on all kinds of Ivs, in a,medically induced coma for 3 weeks. She had a rough start

Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Considering her rough beginning, her weight isn't off by much. How are her diapers? Can you give us a complete weight history?
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Considering her rough beginning, her weight isn't off by much. How are her diapers? Can you give us a complete weight history?

mommy-of-3-lils
by Nicole on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM
She pees alot. Poops every day or every other. I don't have her exact weight history.. But for the last 2 mo, every two weeks she has gained 6 oz
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM

When did you start solids?  Are you nursing on demand?  Allowing her to nurse as long as she would like on the first side before offering the second side?  How oftern is she nursing?

mommy-of-3-lils
by Nicole on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Started solids about 2 weeks,ago. Yes always nurse on demand n for as long as she wants. She nurses ever 3-4 hours.. Sometimes 2 hrs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)