Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newborn not pooping *UPDATE*

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM
  • 27 Replies

My son is 8 days old. He had two dirty diapers in the hosptial and once or twice since being home but is going on 3 days now since he has had a dirty diaper. He is passing gas, having plenty of wet diapers, does not seem upset, and does not have a hard stomach. I know its normal for ebf babies to go longer without pooping but is it normal for a newborn?

We have poop! We went to see the pediatrician this morning for a general check up. I brought up the poop issue and the possible posterior tongue tie. He also checked the baby's weight. He has regained his birth weight plus some (was 9.10lbs and now is 9.15lbs) and will not be 2 weeks till Tuesday). This made me super excited because this is my first time making it this long ebf (not using bottles) and seeing the weight gain go well. Because of that and how content he is the pedi was not concerned about him not pooping saying that it was normal to not go for a few days for ebf babies. (Sure enough as soon as we got home he had a loaded diaper!!) As far as the possible tongue tie, he wanted to wait a few weeks at first saying that he was not concerned since he was gaining weight well but after insisting we will be going to see an ENT Tuesday. The pedi didn't say for sure but said he noticed his tongue was a little crooked. Thanks for all the suggestions and help!
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:55 PM
http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvdec97jan98p123.html

Are you.engorged and.over producing. How often.do you switch sides? From what i was reading not getting enough hind milk can.cause baby to not poop as often. If blockfeed than baby can get that rich and fatty hindmilk, and help increase.pooping.
kspear0120
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I don't think I'm engorged. He is constantly feeding and I'm not getting hard spots that remain through the day though my milk just came in a few days ago so in the mornings i am more engorged than during the rest of the day.  

I was thinking the same thing about not getting enough hind milk. I mostly switch sides every other feeding. I let him latch as long as he wants (I detach when I notice he has drifted off and is not drinking any more but will relatch if he is still interested). Once he is done with one side I try to offer the other but he is usually passed out till he is ready to feed again. He is very much cluster feeding and not going very long between feedings during the day though I think I am getting two 3 hr spans at night between feedings.  

Quoting Precious333:

Are you.engorged and.over producing. How often.do you switch sides? From what i was reading not getting enough hind milk can.cause baby to not poop as often. If blockfeed than baby can get that rich and fatty hindmilk, and help increase.pooping.

kspear0120
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:09 AM

what does it mean to block feed?

Quoting Precious333:

MamiSI
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:24 AM
What color is it? Is it "seedy"?
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Blockfeedng is when you nurse on one side for a.certain amount of feeding or a certain amount of time.

Quoting kspear0120:

what does it mean to block feed?

Quoting Precious333:

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:30 AM
You may want to stick to one side a bit longer

Quoting kspear0120:

I don't think I'm engorged. He is constantly feeding and I'm not getting hard spots that remain through the day though my milk just came in a few days ago so in the mornings i am more engorged than during the rest of the day.  

I was thinking the same thing about not getting enough hind milk. I mostly switch sides every other feeding. I let him latch as long as he wants (I detach when I notice he has drifted off and is not drinking any more but will relatch if he is still interested). Once he is done with one side I try to offer the other but he is usually passed out till he is ready to feed again. He is very much cluster feeding and not going very long between feedings during the day though I think I am getting two 3 hr spans at night between feedings.  

Quoting Precious333:

MamiSI
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I found this hope it helps.http://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-poop-a-complete-guide_10319333.bc

Talk to your pediatrician later today. Good luck.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:01 AM
The only thing I can think of is that if I ate a lot of dairy it would constipate my daughter a bit. He seems to be nursing often enough, though.
kspear0120
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM

ty.. we got a lil poop this morning and its still the in between stuff so far but looks like there is more to come. I tried the block feeding thing over night and gonna keep trying it throughout the day. I read a bit about oversupply and although I don't feel engorged but he is definitley gulping at times and making the clicking noise when swallowing.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting kspear0120:

Quoting Precious333:

Kristen - happily married to Xander and mom to A (9/25/09 9.9lbs), Z (9/27/10 8.13 lbs and has craniosynostosis), S (11/8/11 9.15lbs and Successful natural VBA2C!), and M (8/20/13 9.10lbs also natural VBA2C!!)

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Thats a good starr then. When you nurse ans there is a strong letdown, try reclined nursing or nursing on your side. Hope he poops more today! :)

Quoting kspear0120:

ty.. we got a lil poop this morning and its still the in between stuff so far but looks like there is more to come. I tried the block feeding thing over night and gonna keep trying it throughout the day. I read a bit about oversupply and although I don't feel engorged but he is definitley gulping at times and making the clicking noise when swallowing.

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting kspear0120:

Quoting Precious333:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)