Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

vitamin D

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM
  • 17 Replies
Is it necessary? I tasted it and its like acid, no wonder he choked everytime he got it. I quit using it and take him outside five min or more a day. Is that okay? He got teeth at four month and they are healthy so I think that's a good sign.
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
It's not necessary. Spending time outside is good enough. Bm is good enough for six months and then sunlight steps in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this
Up the sun exposure to 10-15 minutes a day--if it's warm, nurse him outside in just his diaper. If you need drops during the winter, look for Just D or Carlson's. The ones from the formula company are nasty and alter the virgin gut.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Vit D drops should taste like NOTHING, if it tastes then it has something else in it. Check the brand if its made by a formula company toss it out. Carlsons brand is the only kind I would use, it only takes one drop and doesnt have a taste.
destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Enfimil is the only one I could find in stores but I'm going to look online. Thank you!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Vit D drops should taste like NOTHING, if it tastes then it has something else in it. Check the brand if its made by a formula company toss it out. Carlsons brand is the only kind I would use, it only takes one drop and doesnt have a taste.

greenmama9801
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:01 AM
I've never used it but asked my pedi about it this time and he said it's not necessary.
destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Mine said we needed it. I stopped giving it to him a while ago but I've just been worried lately because its been raining and hard to go outside.

Quoting greenmama9801:

I've never used it but asked my pedi about it this time and he said it's not necessary.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I have seen a lot of disagreement from even 'natural' crunchy mommies about Vit D for infants.

What I do: Once they start eating solids, in the winter, all my kids get Vit D chewables.  Since I started that, it has significantly reduced how much they get sick in the winter.  They are all outside as much as possible in the summer, so I don't worry about it then.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Our ped never mentioned it.  We have never given them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

shortyali
by Alicia on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM
1 mom liked this
If you have a Vitamin Shoppe near you check there. I couldn't find Carlsons but I did find a drops made by Disney. It also has some kind of citrus oil in it so my DS2 smells like oranges when I give it to him but it only has 3 or 4 things in it compared to the formula brand. My kids only get vit D during the winter. Summer time we are outside a lot.

Quoting destiny3513:

Enfimil is the only one I could find in stores but I'm going to look online. Thank you!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

TaralynnStewart
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:23 AM
I do give it to my newest nursling because my now 20mth old who was EBF for 14mths became anemic and we still have issues and she's on a high dosage of vit b iron drops. there's nothing negative about vitamins, but at the end of the day its up to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)