Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to wean a toddler that wants to nurse a lot!

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 6 Replies
I've been here before asking how to wean but I decided at the time he wasn't ready. He probably still isn't ready but I sure am! He throws a fit if I say no not right now. Sometimes I can distract. Most times if I don't want to nurse him I can't sit down. He's almost 22 months old. Some days he can go hours between nursing. Other days it seems that's all he wants to do. And he doesn't eat very good when he's with me. But if daddy's home or he's with grandma he eats A LOT. Ugh! What do I do?? He's a titty baby for sure lol.

Please help!
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

At all ages, the method is the same as what you're doing already. He's on the way to weaning already.

Distract, delay, set limits. That's it. THere are no magic tricks.

Keeely07
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Sometimes I feel he's almost there but then he will nurse all day sometimes! Is that normal for weaning?

Quoting gdiamante:

At all ages, the method is the same as what you're doing already. He's on the way to weaning already.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Yep, normal!

Also, something to consider, my daughter would nurse all day and then some of us would get sick.  I realized that when she was fighting something, she nursed constantly.  I don't know if she knew and knew it would make her feel better or if it was instinctual.  Also, my current almost toddler is nursing all day because of teething.  So they might have a very real need to nurse all day, occasionally.

Quoting Keeely07:

Sometimes I feel he's almost there but then he will nurse all day sometimes! Is that normal for weaning?

Quoting gdiamante:

polkaspots
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:26 AM
My 18month old is the same way. I'm not ready to wean him yet, but we've definitely had some problems with him barely eating unless there's other people around. I bribe my 3yo with mini muffins to get her to feed him. He always has a cup of water available to him and almost always has food on the table. It's really cut down on the 5 second nursing sessions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Yep. Two steps forward, one step back! 

Quoting Keeely07:

JealousGrrl
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM

I'm kind of having the same problem as you...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)