Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who is doing both???

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 27 Replies

Hello Moms,

I am both breastfeeding and formula feeding my baby. I know I should only breastfeed but sometimes my baby seems to never be satisfied with both breast, he is still hungry afterward sometimes and my breast are drained so I give him some formula. Also, I will admit that sometimes my breast are so sore that I need a few extra hours to re cooperate after a breastfeeding. 

What do you think? Are any of you in the same boat or doing something similar?

Thanks

by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I'm too lazy for formula, it's entirely too much work. 

Honestly, if you wanting a breastfeeding relationship with your child- I think you are setting yourself up for failure.  If you don't care, then go for it.

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jezike:

Hello Moms,

I am both breastfeeding and formula feeding my baby. I know I should only breastfeed but sometimes my baby seems to never be satisfied with both breast,

He's not SUPPOSED to be. That's in the interest of boosting supply. Delete the word "satisfiedf" from your vocabulary.

he is still hungry afterward sometimes and my breast are drained so I give him some formula.

Your breasts are NEVER drained. Milk is made AS you nurse. Side one till he comes off on his own. Burp. Repeat on side two. Burp. Start over again on side one. If you give formula you will end up causing yourself supply problems.

Per your profile he's a newborn and right now is VITAL for establishing supply. It's normal and desired for him to want to be on the breast All. The. Time. **smile** In these early days, he knows what he;s doing... moms generally don't. So follow what he wants.

Also, I will admit that sometimes my breast are so sore that I need a few extra hours to re cooperate after a breastfeeding. 

If you're that sore it means a bad latch.

Thanks

I've seen many moms do what you're doing over the years. And with very few exceptions, they're full formula within a couple of months. 

Right now, it's really vital that you keep baby on the breast as much as he wants to be there. If anyone has told you to time, IGNORE them. They're incorrect.

polkaspots
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:13 AM
I refused to I've ds formula. I didn't go through two weeks of bloody nipps to have to pay for formula.
Honestly though, giving formula after a nursing session will cause him to want more milk than you can provide. You should stop unless you don't mind continuing to give the formula. At this point you may not have to, but as time goes on you'll be giving formula because he needs it, not just for convenience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jezike
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Thanks for the honest advice. You are absolutely right :-)

Quoting happymommy1105:

I'm too lazy for formula, it's entirely too much work. 

Honestly, if you wanting a breastfeeding relationship with your child- I think you are setting yourself up for failure.  If you don't care, then go for it.

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I'm replying because I'm stuck on bedrest and bored. I make way too much milk. I try to nurse my 2mo at least once a day, but the rest of the time I give him pumped bottles. I was worried that almost exclusive pumping would have a bad effect on my supply but omg, at peak production I can fill 3 bottles in under 10 minutes.

Before my surgery, baby had an evening fussy time when he had to work to get milk and I guess was too tired. I'd pump once a day at that time for him and get about 4 oz and mixed probiotics in it (might as well if I had to pump it anyway). Before I started pumping for that one feeding a day at 6 weeks though, I was worried that there wasn't enough milk and my baby was hungry and that was such a horrible feeling.

My sister had undersupply issues when her twins were infants. She did all the diet stuff: stay away from mint and cranberries, eat oatmeal and lactation cookies. She found she had a choice: make milk, or do stuff. And maybe that's why my supply shot up from oversupply to OMG: bedrest.

jezike
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow!!! You just taught me so much. There was simply so much I did not know. I need to leave formula out now while he is only 12 days old. I did not know a lot about breastfeeding and I am glad I asked because now I am enlightened. 

Thank you.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting jezike:

Hello Moms,

I am both breastfeeding and formula feeding my baby. I know I should only breastfeed but sometimes my baby seems to never be satisfied with both breast,

He's not SUPPOSED to be. That's in the interest of boosting supply. Delete the word "satisfiedf" from your vocabulary.

he is still hungry afterward sometimes and my breast are drained so I give him some formula.

Your breasts are NEVER drained. Milk is made AS you nurse. Side one till he comes off on his own. Burp. Repeat on side two. Burp. Start over again on side one. If you give formula you will end up causing yourself supply problems.

Per your profile he's a newborn and right now is VITAL for establishing supply. It's normal and desired for him to want to be on the breast All. The. Time. **smile** In these early days, he knows what he;s doing... moms generally don't. So follow what he wants.

Also, I will admit that sometimes my breast are so sore that I need a few extra hours to re cooperate after a breastfeeding. 

Thanks

I've seen many moms do what you're doing over the years. And with very few exceptions, they're full formula within a couple of months. 

Right now, it's really vital that you keep baby on the breast as much as he wants to be there. If anyone has told you to time, IGNORE them. They're incorrect.

gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:53 PM

You're welcome! Unfortunately our culture spends way too much time convincing expectant moms that they "must" have all kinds of gewgaws and doodads and NO time encouraging them to concentrate on the ONLY thing baby cares about upon arrival: What's for lunch?

Next time you hear a friend tell you they're expecting, let 'em know: Baby doesn't care if the nursery is done in World of Warcraft or Winnie the Pooh, and doesn't care if you dress him in identical plain white onesies every day. Baby just cares about eating.

Quoting jezike:

Wow!!! You just taught me so much. There was simply so much I did not know. I need to leave formula out now while he is only 12 days old. I did not know a lot about breastfeeding and I am glad I asked because now I am enlightened. 

Thank you.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting jezike:

Hello Moms,

Thanks

shortmama490
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:54 PM
I am. He gets 1-2 bottles a day a daycare. My supply sucks and I don't respond to the pump well. But he's on boob whenever he's home.

Your not failing. At least your trying. And that's all u can do. At least your LO is getting breast milk.

Remember your child will not go dumb. Hate you. Or love you less BC you gave them formula.
goddiddlyumshis
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Nope. All of my babes were breast babies. Except for #2. We couldn't get rid of thrush for almost 5 pumps, we stopped bf'ing and I started exclusively pumping. Tried nursing again, got thrush and we just went to formula at 9.5mo. Sucked. Made me feel like poo.

But like previous posters said, you don't empty. You're always producing. Just keep an eye out on diapers, and you should be ok :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM
I don't. I hate formula and refuse to pay for it. And I am too lazy to make a bottle properly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)