Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If not a plugged duct, then what?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM
  • 12 Replies
I am starting to feel like I post a lot, but I still feel pretty clueless a lot of the time! On a good note, my baby has not starved and has not had any formula so I must be doing something right :)

I posted last week about a plugged duct and got some great tips about how to resolve. I also thought I was on the verge of mastitis and may still be (but i have felt a lot better than i did Friday night ). Need to talk with my LC, just don't have a way to get in touch with her over the weekend, so here I am asking for advice again! I will get in touch with her this week and go see her if necessary.

I had a plugged duct on my left side and was able to get it cleared. I have what I assumed was a plugged duct on my right side, but I am starting to think it is something else, just don't know what. Nothing I have tried has worked to clear it up and it does not feel the same as the one on the other side. It is much bigger and is tender and painful. It goes almost all the way across the top of my breast and its hard. Some parts of the day it feels okay, other times its really hurting.

Any ideas what it may be? Thanks in advance!!
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Still sounds like there's a plug that's backing up a duct. Is it like a line?

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:21 PM
A lot of times that's how my clogged ducts felt. It made one entire side of my breast hard and lumpy. Are you doing anything to deal with oversupply? I cant remember how old your baby is?
TaylorMom814
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Quoting gdiamante:

Still sounds like there's a plug that's backing up a duct. Is it like a line?

I wouldn't say it's like a line. It's a big section of my breast. Any idea why I wouldn't be able to get it cleared up?
TaylorMom814
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 6:59 PM
Quoting stepconfused182:

A lot of times that's how my clogged ducts felt. It made one entire side of my breast hard and lumpy. Are you doing anything to deal with oversupply? I cant remember how old your baby is?

Yeah that sounds like what I have going on. She is six weeks. Do you think oversupply is the problem? After her three week growth spurt was over I think we definitely had some oversupply going on but it seems like it has leveled out since then.
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Sounds liek you still have a bit of oversupply going. It does take quite a while to settle it.If you're not already nursing with baby's chin pointed the dircetion fo the trouble area (or dangle nursing) that would be a good strategy to take.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Yes you most likely still have oversupply. You may have more than one clog going on in that area. Is your baby nursing frequently around the clock? How long have you had this problem area?

Quoting TaylorMom814:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Yeah that sounds like what I have going on. She is six weeks. Do you think oversupply is the problem? After her three week growth spurt was over I think we definitely had some oversupply going on but it seems like it has leveled out since then.
Steph_G.
by Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:24 PM

When I had a clogged duct there was a hard section that was probably like 2 in by 1 in, so I think a clogged duct can be a pretty large area. 

TaylorMom814
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Thanks again ladies. It's been a problem for over a week now :( she has been nursing about every two hours during the day, a couple longer stretches at night. Guess I need to keep up the dangle nursing and everything else! I just thought it would be starting to get better by now.
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I had to nurse in a reclined position for months.

TaylorMom814
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:45 PM
I think it's finally getting better!! It is not so painful to the touch today, and it feels a lot softer. Does it sound like its improving? I know it doesn't clear up immediately but hoping its going the right way now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)