Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Question!!

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:31 AM
  • 21 Replies

HI ladies! I know Im not on here much these days, but my little (BIG) 6 month old Nathan is keeping me busy, along with his 4.5 year old brother. :-) 

I have a question. Is there a point in time when a child starts to nurse on a schedule more like an adult? Like three meals a day kind of thing? I realize that since Im inexperienced at this, Im still doing things the same way like I did when he was a newborn. (nursing in the same positions, which doesnt seem to be a problem, nursing about every 2-3 horus, etc)

We tried carrots the other day as his first food, and he didnt really seem interested...should I wait another month for more solids? 

Are there any tips I should know about for feeding an older nursling? Thanks in advance!!!!

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 3:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:10 AM
1 mom liked this
My nurslings didn't get into a schedule until after a year old.
Did you try solid carrot or purée carrot? Maybe try actual solid carrot. Also could just be the fact he's not ready yet. My DD wasn't interested until she was closer to 8 months.
The only changes is to make sure your nursing first then solids. Solids are dessert. Then after the first birthday you can nurse after solids if you want.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I think the schedule also depends on the child's personality.  My firstborn was on a schedule - his own that I could set a clock by!!  It was crazy.  Based on when he woke up in the morning I could tell you what times he would eat all day long.  :D  

Breastmilk should always come first until at least a year old, so you probably won't ssee a major reduction in the number of nursing times until then.  But you might.  Also, being sick, teething, hurt - all that can increase how often they nurse.  

We do baby led weaning now.  Basically, just offer solids when you sit down for a meal - bits of your own food.  I had one that didn't eat solids until 10 months and one that ate at 6 months.  

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting amc103:

I have a question. Is there a point in time when a child starts to nurse on a schedule more like an adult? Like three meals a day kind of thing?

Three meals a day actually isn't a normal human eating pattern; we're built to do lots of small eals through the day. Just as your baby does! So I don't look for babies to want to do it at any time. Nor is there a need for it.

I realize that since Im inexperienced at this, Im still doing things the same way like I did when he was a newborn. (nursing in the same positions, which doesnt seem to be a problem, nursing about every 2-3 horus, etc)

If it ain't broke.. **grin**

We tried carrots the other day as his first food, and he didnt really seem interested...should I wait another month for more solids? 

Or maybe something more palatable than carrots... banana or avocado work well. No purees, please.

Are there any tips I should know about for feeding an older nursling? Thanks in advance!!!!

Nurse first, solids after.

igotheart
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Why no purees? (Just Curious)

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting amc103:

I have a question. Is there a point in time when a child starts to nurse on a schedule more like an adult? Like three meals a day kind of thing?

Three meals a day actually isn't a normal human eating pattern; we're built to do lots of small eals through the day. Just as your baby does! So I don't look for babies to want to do it at any time. Nor is there a need for it.

I realize that since Im inexperienced at this, Im still doing things the same way like I did when he was a newborn. (nursing in the same positions, which doesnt seem to be a problem, nursing about every 2-3 horus, etc)

If it ain't broke.. **grin**

Or maybe something more palatable than carrots... banana or avocado work well. No purees, please.

Nurse first, solids after.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM

If baby needs a spoon, baby's not ready for solids yet. Self feeding is one of the tenets of baby led weaning.

Besides, jarred foods are mostly water.

Quoting igotheart:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Purees teach babies to swallow something other than breastmilk without chewing. They are less nutritionally dense than breastmilk, also.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:04 PM
In a way babies do become more scheduled as they get older. Usually it's more like five to seven meals a day though. And I agree that spoon feeding is lame. I did it with my first and I refuse to do it again. The kids three and a half and I still have to help her eat her breakfast everyday because she insists on eating oatmeal but doesn't have the patience to eat it by herself.
As for how you nurse, things change on their own. Positions and timing will change as he starts crawling over to you and climbing up himself.
You don't have to wait another month. You can offer him food every day until he wants it, or you can set a date to try again. It doesn't make a difference as long as he's already met the milestone requirements of age, sitting up, pincer grasp and the loss of tongue reflex.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amc103
by Alli on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Thanks for this info! I appreciate it! When you say solid carrot, do you mean a cooked carrot? Right? LOL! I feel like that was a stupid question! Wont he choke?

Quoting shortyali:

My nurslings didn't get into a schedule until after a year old.
Did you try solid carrot or purée carrot? Maybe try actual solid carrot. Also could just be the fact he's not ready yet. My DD wasn't interested until she was closer to 8 months.
The only changes is to make sure your nursing first then solids. Solids are dessert. Then after the first birthday you can nurse after solids if you want.

amc103
by Alli on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I made them, but they were mashed. I boiled them to cook them. Im afraid that if I give him a whole cooked carrot, he'll choke. Baby led weaning is without a spoon? Im asking because I dont know! lOL! Im sorry if those questions sound stupid. :-/ So for peas, feed him whole cooked peas? I cant really get good avacado here so I could do banana chunks, but again, Im worried about the choking thing. Also, if bananas are next, wont he get used to sweet foods? I know he's totally ready for food, (pincer grasp, sits unassisted, no tounge thrust reflex anymore, and he's always grabing my food!) but I worry about choking. For example, tonight, I had a chicken breast and veggie stirfry....he wanted it but I figured it was to advanced to give him??? Eeekkk, I need help!

Quoting gdiamante:

If baby needs a spoon, baby's not ready for solids yet. Self feeding is one of the tenets of baby led weaning.

Besides, jarred foods are mostly water.

Quoting igotheart:

amc103
by Alli on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you! This is great information! So can you give me an example of what I can give him without a spoon at six months? That would help me greatly! I did things totally different with my oldest son, (wrong) so Im a newbie to this too, I suppose! :-)  Im so afraid of choking with feeding without a spoon or fork. What do you suggest?

Quoting polkaspots:

In a way babies do become more scheduled as they get older. Usually it's more like five to seven meals a day though. And I agree that spoon feeding is lame. I did it with my first and I refuse to do it again. The kids three and a half and I still have to help her eat her breakfast everyday because she insists on eating oatmeal but doesn't have the patience to eat it by herself.
As for how you nurse, things change on their own. Positions and timing will change as he starts crawling over to you and climbing up himself.
You don't have to wait another month. You can offer him food every day until he wants it, or you can set a date to try again. It doesn't make a difference as long as he's already met the milestone requirements of age, sitting up, pincer grasp and the loss of tongue reflex.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)