Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What's are the rules after a year?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 13 Replies

My daughter is 13 months and still nursing every 1.5 - 2 hrs around the clock. If i hold out during the day because I'm away then she will nurse more that night to make up for it. I'm fine with it, I love nursing her but my 11 yr old is feeling really left out lately and needs more one on one time with me. I'd like to take her out for girls day without feeling like I need to rush back home to nurse. Can she go longer without it and my supply not be affected? She will take a sippy with water but hates almond and coconut milk. Eats plenty of solids now. Am I okay to hold out on her for longer periods of time? Why do I feel so guilty for doing that!!!!!

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:19 AM
There are no rules! Yay! Haha! If you're gone over an evening you're fine. Just nurse when you're home. (Offer solids/waterwhen you're away) need at least 3 sessions per day to not need any other milk.
AMartin81
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Oh that's such a relief!!! I feel much better now leaving her for awhile. Thank you!!!

Quoting audmom1218:

There are no rules! Yay! Haha! If you're gone over an evening you're fine. Just nurse when you're home. (Offer solids/waterwhen you're away) need at least 3 sessions per day to not need any other milk.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:07 AM
there are no rules!!! Leave baby with food and water and she will be fine for a few hours. I would still take a pump though. Just because she doesn't need it doesn't mean you won't get engorged unfortunately :/
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:09 AM
The milk before solids rule doesn't apply anymore. I took that to mean I could give solids first and then nurse when he asked.
It's also safe to start night weaning. Not that I had the patience to try it myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:15 AM
No need for alternative milks if you are nursing at least 3 times in 24 hours. No rules. Enjoy! :)
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I'd say okay for a little while. Maybe take the older one out for lunch and ice cream or something like that, but I wouldn't spend the whole day.

AMartin81
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I don't have a pump but will never be gone more than 3 or 4 hours. Hopefully won't be engorged too bad. Might be wise for me to get a cheap hand pump to take with me though. 

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

there are no rules!!! Leave baby with food and water and she will be fine for a few hours. I would still take a pump though. Just because she doesn't need it doesn't mean you won't get engorged unfortunately :/

AMartin81
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Yay!!! Good to know that she doesn't need any milk alternatives. I change about 7-10 soaking wet diapers a day so I know she's getting plenty!!

Quoting K8wizzo:

No need for alternative milks if you are nursing at least 3 times in 24 hours. No rules. Enjoy! :)

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I frequently stay out all day without ds. He is a bit older though, 18 months. Start out with leaving her for a few hours and see how it goes. It really depends on how well she eats and drinks while you're gone. She doesn't need any other milk unless you're gone for a full 24hrs. I started our leaving him once in a while for things like food shopping and now I can leave him overnight when it's convenient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMartin81
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Yes no day trips yet!!!! Just a few hours here and there. Good to know that she can survive without me for that long!! Dh gets so nervous that he can't keep her happy without my girls there to keep her happy: )

Quoting Kathy489:

I'd say okay for a little while. Maybe take the older one out for lunch and ice cream or something like that, but I wouldn't spend the whole day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN