Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Another question

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 11 Replies
Hello ladies! So I've been posting here and there reading and trying to educate myself as much as possible before my baby is born in dec. I've def learned a lot and I'm def afraid still.....afraid of failure. My question is how careful do I have to e about my diet affecting my breast milk. I tried bf my son who is now 3yr and it was just a bad experience and I stopped. I remember I ate a cheese sandwich and my ds was a mess crying and screaming. He had horrific reflux but at that stage I didn't know. My dr said the cheese made him sick. So I was afraid to eat in fear of making him hurt. So many other factors occurred that ended me bf my son. So this time I'm trying to be prepared and as educated as possible. Thanks for all the advice and support.
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Candie1015
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM
I have heard of a test they can run at the dr office to see what allergies your baby might have. I would ask your ob about having it done before leaving the hospital. There might be an age limit for it though. As for how careful it depends on if your baby does have allergies. If so then I would read labels and be informed of other words they use for cheeses, milk, or what ever your baby may be allergic to
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Did normal formula affect your son in that way? I'm guessing your problem was not reflux but over active letdown/ over supply. In most cases diet does not affect baby at all unless there is an allergy. But like iI said OAL/OS have those same symptoms and are way more common.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Those tests are sort of painful (the skin pricks) and are really innacurate in infancy. Most allergists won't do them until between two and five years. But if formula did not have that same affect on her son (because all formula contains some milk protein) then I don't think it was an allergy at all.

Quoting Candie1015:

I have heard of a test they can run at the dr office to see what allergies your baby might have. I would ask your ob about having it done before leaving the hospital. There might be an age limit for it though. As for how careful it depends on if your baby does have allergies. If so then I would read labels and be informed of other words they use for cheeses, milk, or what ever your baby may be allergic to

charley31
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Once he was on the alimentum formula he was a diff baby. Well I had to do that formula and my health insurance covered it since the pediatrician said he had to have it. I also took my son to children's hosp of Phila. And the gi dr said smaller more frequent feeding and I had to give him Zantac 3x a day. He def had reflux My son had a lot of other issues and im just afraid of trying bf again and having same experience I guess. I prob sound stupid

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Did normal formula affect your son in that way? I'm guessing your problem was not reflux but over active letdown/ over supply. In most cases diet does not affect baby at all unless there is an allergy. But like iI said OAL/OS have those same symptoms and are way more common.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Quoting charley31:

Hello ladies! So I've been posting here and there reading and trying to educate myself as much as possible before my baby is born in dec. I've def learned a lot and I'm def afraid still.....afraid of failure.
The only failure is if you murder the baby. That's it. Nothing else.
My question is how careful do I have to e about my diet affecting my breast milk.
Not at all UNLESS baby reacts to something in your diet. Otherwise, eat and drink AS YOU LIKE.
I tried bf my son who is now 3yr and it was just a bad experience and I stopped. I remember I ate a cheese sandwich and my ds was a mess crying and screaming. He had horrific reflux but at that stage I didn't know.
MORE likely he had a dairy sensitivity. It's usually misdiagnosed as reflux.
My dr said the cheese made him sick. So I was afraid to eat in fear of making him hurt. So many other factors occurred that ended me bf my son. So this time I'm trying to be prepared and as educated as possible. Thanks for all the advice and support.

Just because one baby had a problem doesn't mean the next one will. It's also possible it was NOT dairy but letdown that affected your first.

Word to the wise: Every time you birth, you've NEVER done it before. Because nothing applies the second time around. You're tabula rasa.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Ahhh. Overactive letdown. It was NOT your milk.

And the fix is free! Lean back while nursing. That's all! Never lay baby across the lap... instead you sit in a recliner or a seat that lets you lie back, plop baby on top of you tumy to tummy and gravity does the rest. Bonus: You will NEVER have to do tummy time.

Quoting charley31:

Once he was on the alimentum formula he was a diff baby. Well I had to do that formula and my health insurance covered it since the pediatrician said he had to have it. I also took my son to children's hosp of Phila. And the gi dr said smaller more frequent feeding and I had to give him Zantac 3x a day. He def had reflux My son had a lot of other issues and im just afraid of trying bf again and having same experience I guess. I prob sound stupid

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

charley31
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Very interesting! Over active letdown huh. Ill have to look that up. I guess I had too much coming out? I'm telling you I'm soo new and stupid to this stuff haha. I just thought with ds1 I would plop my boob in his mouth and it would be great and it honestly was a nightmare. I just want to do what's best and have that ahhhhh experience bonding with my baby. I never got that with ds1 he didn't even like to be held. Thanks so much for the info.

Quoting gdiamante:

Ahhh. Overactive letdown. It was NOT your milk.

And the fix is free! Lean back while nursing. That's all! Never lay baby across the lap... instead you sit in a recliner or a seat that lets you lie back, plop baby on top of you tumy to tummy and gravity does the rest. Bonus: You will NEVER have to do tummy time.

Quoting charley31:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:24 PM

NOTHING worth doing is that easy. **grin** And I'll be honest, I never had that "ahhh" experience. Nursing was just another task to be done.

Quoting charley31:

Very interesting! Over active letdown huh. Ill have to look that up. I guess I had too much coming out? I'm telling you I'm soo new and stupid to this stuff haha. I just thought with ds1 I would plop my boob in his mouth and it would be great and it honestly was a nightmare. I just want to do what's best and have that ahhhhh experience bonding with my baby. I never got that with ds1 he didn't even like to be held. Thanks so much for the info.

Candie1015
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Thats why I was saying I was told about it....meaning I am uneducated about it. I was lucky my daughter wasn't allergic or anything but because she had acid reflux I cut down on anything acidic or greasy....I know bf can be hard if it requires a diet change but it is more than worth it. I have no clue as to how formula works either but it doesn't make sense that they wouldn't do a lactose free milk for babies with those allergies. Baby could have a peanut allergy or something else doesn't have to be milk....

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Those tests are sort of painful (the skin pricks) and are really innacurate in infancy. Most allergists won't do them until between two and five years. But if formula did not have that same affect on her son (because all formula contains some milk protein) then I don't think it was an allergy at all.

Quoting Candie1015:

jesuschild06
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

ive never really have had the "ahhh" moment of breast feeding either. My boy is only 3 months, and we are past the difficult stage, but its just whatever to me. i promote it so much and have always craved to do it. but, it really isnt that amaizing to me. I plan on weaning at a year. I dont want to do this longer than that. 

anyways.....

yeah, over active letdown and over supply make my son choke and spit up. My supply has actually gotten a lot better which means a whole lot less spitting up so its awesome, but not all moms get that. We just dealt with it. ound positions that lessened the spitting up (what worked bes for us was stratting him on my left leg (or right) and feeding on left boob (or right) while we both were sitting up straight. if i cradled him, or even just leaning back, it was spit up palace ! he fussed more if we cradled to eat and everything.

as for what foods to eat or not to eat you listen to your baby. I cant eat hotdogs. It constpates Thaddy and that is no fun ! grapes make him super gassy. pepsi makes him crash for 5-6 hours (which is funny because in the womb itd make him move like crazy for hours!)

If you find something change in your baby think back the last 2 days and decide if you at something new. If so, dont eat it for a few days and then eat it again. If the same thing happens again, you know not to eat it anymore. I started eating yogurt and hotdogs the same time. I had to cut them both out and then add one and wait and then add the other and found out it was hot dogs. then same thing with grapes. just be patient with yourself and baby. Dont freak. And VENT VENT VENT on here if you have to! We are here to help! not criticize!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)