Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DH not feeling breast feeding

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM
  • 12 Replies
OK, I'm new to the group. I'm due with baby #4 in 3wks. My first 2 I had no desire to BF. My 3rd I was able to pump for the 1st 6 wks but I know I did some things wrong and dried up. My 2biggest mistakes was not waking up at night to pump, he'd get a formula bottle for night time feedings, and not eating/drinking enough to keep up my supply. Anyways I really want to BF and EBF with this one. I am bound and determined to do it. Every time I bring it up with DH he says things like, no you've said that before or you won't do that (he was referring to BF in public with a cover on) and just seems like he doesn't want me to BF. Always talks about how we need to buy some bottles before she comes and stuff.

I guess that part of this post was just venting.

But I also have a question, because I want to BF/EBF. How do I make sure my supply stays up?
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Nurse as soon as the baby is in your arms, and nurse every time the baby wiggles. Do not time feedings. Feed on demand. Diaper count is the true indication of how much baby is taking in. The first week, you want one diaper for each day of life; one on day one, two on day two, etc. At one week, 6-8 every 24 hours including two quarter sized poops. Poopy or extra wet diapers count as two. Two books--"The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" and "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro. Read posts here and read on kellymom.com.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

But I also have a question, because I want to BF/EBF. How do I make sure my supply stays up?

Very simple. Nurse on demand. No matter how long, no matter how often, no matter where. That's it. Drink enough water for *you*... you will suffer dehydration before your supply will suffer. 

LoveMyDog
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:27 PM

Nurse, drink, rest, don't pump.  Pumping does not stimulate milk production the way sucking does.  You will have to get up in the night.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:34 PM
Nurse on demand, hide formula and bottles. Just let your dh know you have had a cjange of heart and want the baby to nurse, no formula.
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Hi and I'm in the same boat almost! I did try to bf dd1 for 3wks but also pumped, didnt know that would mess up the supply and make too much milk and she wouldnt latch correctly and i have flat nipples. dd2 i pumped about a week. now i'm due with dd3 in 12 days or less and want to be EBF as well.

dh isnt on board either so i'm going to just spring it on him when i go into labor LOL

we can be in this together!!

lulu_tattoos
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Keep formula out of your house. In an emergency, baby won't die waiting for a trip to the store to get some. But having it in your home is sabotaging you.

Show hubby the research on how much sicker formula babies get, how much more frequently they have digestive issues, etc. If he wants an "easy" (and healthy) baby, he should do everything in his power to support EBFing.

As far as supply goes, tho other ladies have covered it. I also work flax and steel cut oats into my diet regularly just as a "can't hurt" supply booster. Dunno if it works but I've never had low supply issues and it is 100% safe.
MamaLauraWilson
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Good luck to both of you!
My best advice to add to what was already said is to get baby skin to skin asap. As long as the baby is not in distress everything else can wait for an hour or two. Well,cutting the cord should happen a little sooner. Do some research on delayed cord cutting though,you may choose to wait at least 15 minutes. I learned about that after my babies were born so I don't know much about it. But the eye drops, weight and bath and vitamin k can wait. They gave my my second child right away,wiped her down while she layed on my chest and she wiggled her way to my breast within 20 minutes. I thought people were crazy when they said babies do that, but my second child did. We were also pain med free, which helped. I had a completely different experience with my first. We were overwhelmed with intervention and it interferred. I was induced, epidural was too strong, the lactation nurse decided iWI need a shield when I didn't and the list goes on. We got a few minutes of skin to skin, the nurses took her and did their thing and I got her back 20 minutes later. It was a bad start and we lasted 6 weeks before I was "boonie trapped" into thinking I had a silupply issue. :/ well the second time around was much, much better. I learned a lot from this group as well as kellymom. We were successful because of it!
Good luck!

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

Hi and I'm in the same boat almost! I did try to bf dd1 for 3wks but also pumped, didnt know that would mess up the supply and make too much milk and she wouldnt latch correctly and i have flat nipples. dd2 i pumped about a week. now i'm due with dd3 in 12 days or less and want to be EBF as well.

dh isnt on board either so i'm going to just spring it on him when i go into labor LOL

we can be in this together!!

MamaLauraWilson
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Sorry about all the typos, Iccan't seem to figure out how to use my new phone. I think most of it can be understood. I did mean "boobie trapped".
.Lvmybabies.
by on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Ask to have baby placed on you right after baby comes out and nurse right away, that really helped with my newest baby she is the best nurser out of my three the other two were taken away for cleaning and such and they were never able to latch (they were also early) so I pumped for them. Nursing is so much nicer than pumping and your supply will be better with a nursing baby than with a pump.
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 1:50 PM

My DH wasn't on board with it (even when the nurses and midwife really praised about it), but I just did it. I still don't like nursing in public, but I make it work (usually in the car at the end of the parking lot). I nursed on the beach in a tent. Dh sometimes gets annoyed when it "gets in the way" of doing things around the house but I just push through it. It would be better if I had better support at home, but I'm strong willed enough that I just do it because I want to. (though pumping sucks and sometimes I wish I didn't have to do that). Silas is almost 4 months and he's SLOWLY becoming ok with me breastfeeding him.

Barring any complications, get that baby on your chest within moments of her being born. Get latched on as soon as possible and snuggle in. And nurse like the others said, every time baby wiggles. Crying is a late cue, you should be nursing before they cry. Don't worry about anything else for the first few weeks. Just sit down and nurse every chance you get. Find a good position. Some like pillows, some like boppy/breast friend pillow (love my boppy), some like laying down.

BEST WISHES!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)