Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need help

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM
  • 5 Replies

My dd was diagnosed with laryngomalacia today, (my 2nd kid to have it) anyways she has a hard time swallowing and chokes a lot, also has bad silent reflux. Our ENT wants her to only have 2 oz per feeding. Uhh how can I do this while nursing? It was the same with my son when he was a baby so I pumped and bottle fed. Do any of you brilliant ladies have any idea on how I can estimate 2 oz? Really don't want to have to bottle feed. ;(

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM
First question--do you have overactive letdown/oversupply right now?
staciaw
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Yes I do, she usually pulls off for letdown and choking can be all through feeding even towards the end.

leksismommy
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I know you don't want to bottle feed, but it might be our only way. Good luck

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Are you using reclined nursing? Never lay baby across your lap to nurse. Lean back. Baby on TOP, mouth over the breast so gravity slows the flow. That alone *may just blow doc's diagnosis out of the water.

Quoting staciaw:

Yes I do, she usually pulls off for letdown and choking can be all through feeding even towards the end.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Reclined nursing and block feeding to manage this. Best bet is to look up overactive letdown on kellymom.com--all the procedures are explained there. Breastmilk, of course is far less irritating than the same amount of formula would be, and more easily digested. Controlling the OAL/oversupply will go a long way in your situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)