Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

contingency plan

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
  • 66 Replies
1 mom liked this

I know the ideal situation would be to have nothing but breastmilk until my little one is 6 months old, but I am a full time working mom and I told myself I wouldn't make myself sick worrying about pumping enough milk, so I want to have a contingency plan. I am currently pumping between 20 and 24 ounces a day and my son breastfeeds 3 times a day. If I need to supplement would it be better to use formula or cereal. (He is 4 months old). Just looking for opinions on these two options for future planning, I currently have a ton of breastmilk in the freezer, which will go first before I supplement, and I may never need to supplement, but I'm curious which people think is better. 

Update: Since everyone pretty much said the same thing, I will try updating here to see if it gets to everyone. I knew I should have put this in the original post, but I was trying not to come off as rude. I am not nursing my son any more while I am home. I get home around 6pm he nurses, I nurse him again at 7:30pm and put him to bed, he wakes up at 6am I nurse him and I leave for work at 7am. There is no other time to nurse, and I am not waking him up just so he can nurse. On weekends I nurse him a lot, anytime he wants, which is often because he comfort nurses and because he takes little snacks. I know the 1 ounce rule and I'm not going to follow it. I may not need to do this, I really am a good producer, but I'm not going to try and teach my 4 month old son to wait for food. The question was if I have to not give only breastmilk which is better, cereal or formula.

Update 2: Thank you to those who answered my question, you gave me a lot to think about and look into. I was just assuming that the next step was cereal and now I will have to consider my options. I wish I could have gotten the assistance with a little less judgment, but I knew going into this post that I was going to get a hard time. I tried to respond to a lot of you, but I don't spend a lot of time here, so the number of posts was hard for me to keep up with, but I want you to know I do appreciate the information.

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Quoting Steph_G.:

I know the ideal situation would be to have nothing but breastmilk until my little one is 6 months old, but I am a full time working mom

Lots of  us here.

and I told myself I wouldn't make myself sick worrying about pumping enough milk, so I want to have a contingency plan. I am currently pumping between 20 and 24 ounces a day

HOLY COW! THat['s a HUGE amount. Baby will need 1 - 1,.25 ounces per hour you're gone.

and my son breastfeeds 3 times a day.

Hmmm... that's the first worrisome thing I've read; I'd want him ont he rbeast more when you're home.

If I need to supplement would it be better to use formula or cereal. (He is 4 months old).

NEVER cereal. Never. But from what you write you'll need nothing because you're p[umping more than enough.

Just looking for opinions on these two options for future planning, I currently have a ton of breastmilk in the freezer, which will go first before I supplement, and I may never need to supplement, but I'm curious which people think is better. 

Cross cereal off your list. It's infant junk food. If you don't have enough breastmilk, formula is your path.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:56 PM

SO you know... I went back to work with two days' worth of milk n the freezer. After that was gone, one day's pumping was the next day's feed. 60 hour work week, WITH travel, and formula wasn't needed except for a couple of times around when I had my gall bladder surgery.

smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I'm gone 9ish hours a day and my son has never had more than 12 oz (growth spurt) while I was gone. He averages 9-10 oz. I pump about 15 oz a day.

You're doing just fine momma!
Heymamashakeit
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Baby only needs 1-1.25oz per hour you're gone.

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/feeding-tools/bottle-feeding/

Read that and give it to your care giver. Also baby should be on the breast more. Giving baby less milk (not 20oz!!) will help him nurse more with you. And don't worry if baby doesn't take milk. Babies have been known to wait hours until mom gets home and then they tend to reverse cycle which is totally normal.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 3, 2013 at 10:07 PM

One of the frequently asked questions of breastfeeding is “How much milk should I leave my baby while we are separated?”

The answers that I’ve seen vary. The answer that I subscribe to is “The One Ounce Per Hour Rule”.  (Which could be better described as the 1-1.25oz/hour rule).

The one ounce per hour rule is based on the average daily requirements of a breastfed infant who will take in 25oz/day of milk. (This does not vary much between one and six months). While amounts might be more or less during exclusive pumping / bottle feeding, the “One Ounce Per Hour” rule is considered the standard for shorter periods of mother and infant separation.

This method is the “breastfeeding friendly” method that is most likely to lead to longer term breastfeeding success. Other methods that allow on-demand feeding from bottles or that follow amount guidelines for formula fed babies often lead to supply decrease and early weaning or supplementation of non-human milk.

I’ve heard a lot of moms say that they are anxious about the one-ounce-per-hour rule of feeding a breastfed infant while separated from mom. I understand it. I was anxious as a new mom, too, and wanted to leave MORE than my baby needed because it hurt to leave him and I wanted to make sure he would be happy and satisfied while I was away.

The thing is.. It’s not starving your baby and it’s not letting your baby go hungry. It’s something your baby is already used to. The supply in your breasts is not static. It goes up and down across the day. Your baby is already used to this.

Your baby eats the same amount each day between one month and when solids are introduced. (A bit more during growth spurts- but this should happen at mom’s breast, since her supply has to scale.) This amount for breastfed babies averages out to 25oz/day with some babies eating as little as 19oz/day. Your supply is not static across the day, it increases and decreases across the day, so baby learns to nurse more during high supply hours, and less during low supply hours (which are typically in the evening)

What the one ounce per hour rule does is it encourages baby to view the bottle feeds as “low supply”, and mom-feeds as “high supply” and baby nurses more with mom and less with the bottle. Baby’s needs are met, not exceeded. More than one ounce per hour means baby finds bottle = high supply, breast = low supply, and starts fussing for more bottle, less mom. This means mom is stuck pumping HUGE amounts of milk.

This causes problems because the pump is ineffective. It’s like trying to siphon water out of a well with a drinking straw. It’s tedious, it’s boring, it’s a pain in the butt. Mom’s breasts let down easily to an eager baby, and noooot so well to a pump. 1-2oz per pumping session is actually EXCELLENT output. If baby is downing 2oz/hour or more than one ounce/hour? Mom would have to pump constantly at work to make up for it.

Better to convince baby that the bottle has a rotten supply and that it’s easier to gorge off mom. Easier on mom, easy enough on baby, and baby’s needs are more than met with the ounce per hour.

Sources: Average Intake of Breastmilk (Kellymom)

*** Important caveat: As with all “rules” there are exceptions. If mom and baby are routinely separated from each other during ALL of the highest supply hours of mom’s day and are only together briefly, the one ounce per hour rule might not work and baby may need more frequent feedings during separation. View the rule as a guideline and as a possible warning sign that your caregiver is overfeeding the baby or giving bottles that are too large/too frequent. It may not be the amount that is a problem but the bottle size. Maybe baby will do better with more frequent 2oz bottles. Maybe your pumping sessions need to be longer or more frequent in order to get milk of the right composition for what baby needs while separated. Never follow ANY rule that doesn’t work for your child.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Nurse more when you're with him. No bottles when you are there. How many times does he nurse on Mon-work days?
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this
20-24 oz is enough for a full 24 hour day.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 4, 2013 at 2:34 AM

What she said!

How much are you giving while you're at work?

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Steph_G.:

I know the ideal situation would be to have nothing but breastmilk until my little one is 6 months old, but I am a full time working mom

Lots of  us here.

and I told myself I wouldn't make myself sick worrying about pumping enough milk, so I want to have a contingency plan. I am currently pumping between 20 and 24 ounces a day

HOLY COW! THat['s a HUGE amount. Baby will need 1 - 1,.25 ounces per hour you're gone.

Hmmm... that's the first worrisome thing I've read; I'd want him ont he rbeast more when you're home.

If I need to supplement would it be better to use formula or cereal. (He is 4 months old).

NEVER cereal. Never. But from what you write you'll need nothing because you're p[umping more than enough.

Just looking for opinions on these two options for future planning, I currently have a ton of breastmilk in the freezer, which will go first before I supplement, and I may never need to supplement, but I'm curious which people think is better. 

Cross cereal off your list. It's infant junk food. If you don't have enough breastmilk, formula or donor milk is your path.

Steph_G.
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:31 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Steph_G.:

Lots of  us here.

Cross cereal off your list. It's infant junk food. If you don't have enough breastmilk, formula is your path.

Thanks that's what I needed to know, but why is it junk food, doesn't he need it eventually? (after 6 months)

Steph_G.
by Member on Sep. 4, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

SO you know... I went back to work with two days' worth of milk n the freezer. After that was gone, one day's pumping was the next day's feed. 60 hour work week, WITH travel, and formula wasn't needed except for a couple of times around when I had my gall bladder surgery.

I did the same with my daughter, she didn't get a drop of formula for the first 6 months. I got sick of pumping and started backing off around 10 months, she ended up using less than 2 cans of (sample) formula over her entire life, and I know fully well I could have made it the year, but I didn't and I didn't produce nearly as much milk with her as I have with my son, but now I'm about making my life as stress free as possible, and for me that means having another option already decided so I don't have to panic if the time comes that I need it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)