Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My baby does not like eating

Posted by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM
  • 33 Replies
My baby is six month old. Two weeks ago, he could eat 18oz breastmilk and around four spoons cereal. I pumped out and fed him by spoon. He hates bottles and I have tried five kinds of them which were recommended by my friends. But now, he is eating less and less. Even he is very hungry, he can only eat 2oz. He normally has three meals daily, 6oz each. I need 1.5 hours to finish feeding him by spoon each meal. because even 6 oz is still a lot for him. i am so worried about his health. we just had a six month check up, but pediatratien thought he is doing Great. his weight ratio is decreasing.People gave me advises that I should only gave my baby limit time to eat and fed him every three hours. I did that, but he can only eat 2oz efficiently, afterwards, he just had milk in his month and would not swallow. As you can see, two top problems for my baby. Do not like bottles, he only bite those nipes on the bottles. And eat little. The reason why i pump out milk is because he just eat a little. I am pretty sure about that. If I have a lot of milk in my breast, I still feel a lot in them. If I do not have much, he just latched on my breast for a while, and the milk does not come out that easily, he would give up. Has any mom experienced these problems. A amost crazy mom is Looking forward for all your advices.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM
When you feed baby at the breast, was baby using at least 6 diapers per day?
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM

yes, wondering about diaper cont before delving into possible issues.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Quoting qunny:

My baby is six month old. Two weeks ago, he could eat 18oz breastmilk
18 ounces in a feeding? Trying to be clear; a feeding is four ounces tops. Or do you mean 18 ounces in a day? Is he on breast and bottle? Sorry for the questions but trying to get a clear picture of what's happening. Baby's daily need is 24 ounces minimum.
and around four spoons cereal.
Cereal isn't needed at all. If it's replacing breastmilk, that's cause for concern.
I pumped out and fed him by spoon. He hates bottles and I have tried five kinds of them which were recommended by my friends.
Might not be happy with taking a bottle from *you* if he's used to getting the breast from you. I'm still reading through, so let's see what else is going on.
But now, he is eating less and less. Even he is very hungry, he can only eat 2oz.
Two ounces per feeding is fine; that's a normal amount.
He normally has three meals daily, 6oz each. I need 1.5 hours to finish feeding him by spoon each meal. because even 6 oz is still a lot for him. i am so worried about his health. we just had a six month check up, but pediatratien thought he is doing Great.
I still need to know if this is breast or bottle or both, and is the three meals to a schedule? Or are you nursing on demand and then these three meals are extra? On demand is the norm, to avoid failure to thrive.
his weight ratio is decreasing.
You mean percentile? That means nothing.
People gave me advises that I should only gave my baby limit time to eat and fed him every three hours.
NO. NO. NO. NO. Take NO more advice from those people. ON DEMAND. No matter how long, no matter how often. These "people" are giving you the WORST advice. Go smash your clocks. No timing.
I did that, but he can only eat 2oz efficiently, afterwards, he just had milk in his month and would not swallow. As you can see, two top problems for my baby. Do not like bottles, he only bite those nipes on the bottles. And eat little. The reason why i pump out milk is because he just eat a little. I am pretty sure about that. If I have a lot of milk in my breast, I still feel a lot in them. If I do not have much, he just latched on my breast for a while, and the milk does not come out that easily, he would give up. Has any mom experienced these problems. A amost crazy mom is Looking forward for all your advices.

I think you need to throw the bottles away, crawl into bed with him and stay there for the next 24 hours. You have NO OTHER JOB but to feed the baby.

Count dipes. At this age. about five changes per day.

Don't bother with cereal. It's junk and offers him nothing. In fact, it can do more harm than good through constipation and replacing breastmilk.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM
I'm really confused. So I will just say what went on with my son at six months. We nursed on demand. Usually every hour or two (which is normal). I tried spoon feeding him purees (because cereal is garbage and tastes like card board) which he hated because he was not ready for solids. Kept offering food for two more months and nursing as much as he wanted. At nine months he decided on his own that he wanted to eat whole green beans and his appetite for solids has increased steadily since. The "feeling" of your breasts does not determine if he is taking a lot or a little. My son also never take more than two ounces from a bottle. Not because he doesn't need the milk but because he hated them and would much rather nurse. MY ADVICE: follow your own baby's lead and stop over analyzing. Nurse when baby wants to nurse. Stop bottles. Offer baby solids but don't force baby to eat them. He will when he is ready, I promise.
amyroosmom
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:41 AM

yep i experienced the same thing with my daughter  and i am still experiencing this with her and she has been checked for everything on earth she has been poked prodded and examined umpteen times and all for them to tell me that she is perfectly healthy  and she is now in the 3rd percentile for weight  and she should suposedly be at the 50th percentile but for her height she is in the 98th percentile so she is really tall and skinny and healthy. what i had to do with my daughter is first get my milk to start first once it was started i would latch her on and while she was latched on i would do a c clamp on my breast to help my milk to keep flowing so she would not have to  work so hard for the milk and that helped and i would just have to offer her every 1.5-2hrs and try giving her cereal and other food but alot of times she would not want anything but breast milk.  and i would like to say she heads like a champ now but nope she still eats very little  and she is a vegetarian so the only way i get her to intake more callories is by using pediasure that has helped.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Solids should only be given after a full nursing session. Continue to nurse from the breast on demand. Cereal and purees are not necessary. If he can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost tongue thrust reflex, and can use pincer grasp to put things in his own mouth, he can have small soft pieces of table food. Not even necessary on a daily basis. He should have mostly breastmilk until one year old.
TardisBlue
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM
Also remember that when babies get more active, their growth can slow down. That is fine! When baby uses energy for something else, such as training muscles or growing brain connections, less energy can be used for overall growth. Perfectly normal!
qunny
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:32 PM
only three to four wet diapers daily

Quoting Junebaby18:

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM
does he poop daily? And how wet are the diapers? Put four tablespoons of water into a diaper and that is now your control diaper. If it's any wetter than that four tablespoons it counts as two. Poops count as two also.

Quoting qunny:

only three to four wet diapers daily

Quoting Junebaby18:

qunny
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM
18oz for 24h. I pumper out milk to feed him since he just sucked my nipple and played. Yesterday, he only ate 12 oz. He hates bottles, so I used spoon to feed him. I thought I can make him eat more that 18oz if I pumped out the milk and fed him by spoon. Now I am wrong, he began hating spoon.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting qunny:

My baby is six month old. Two weeks ago, he could eat 18oz breastmilk
18 ounces in a feeding? Trying to be clear; a feeding is four ounces tops. Or do you mean 18 ounces in a day? Is he on breast and bottle? Sorry for the questions but trying to get a clear picture of what's happening. Baby's daily need is 24 ounces minimum.
and around four spoons cereal.
Cereal isn't needed at all. If it's replacing breastmilk, that's cause for concern.
I pumped out and fed him by spoon. He hates bottles and I have tried five kinds of them which were recommended by my friends.
Might not be happy with taking a bottle from *you* if he's used to getting the breast from you. I'm still reading through, so let's see what else is going on.
But now, he is eating less and less. Even he is very hungry, he can only eat 2oz.
Two ounces per feeding is fine; that's a normal amount.
He normally has three meals daily, 6oz each. I need 1.5 hours to finish feeding him by spoon each meal. because even 6 oz is still a lot for him. i am so worried about his health. we just had a six month check up, but pediatratien thought he is doing Great.
I still need to know if this is breast or bottle or both, and is the three meals to a schedule? Or are you nursing on demand and then these three meals are extra? On demand is the norm, to avoid failure to thrive.
his weight ratio is decreasing.
You mean percentile? That means nothing.
People gave me advises that I should only gave my baby limit time to eat and fed him every three hours.
NO. NO. NO. NO. Take NO more advice from those people. ON DEMAND. No matter how long, no matter how often. These "people" are giving you the WORST advice. Go smash your clocks. No timing.
I did that, but he can only eat 2oz efficiently, afterwards, he just had milk in his month and would not swallow. As you can see, two top problems for my baby. Do not like bottles, he only bite those nipes on the bottles. And eat little. The reason why i pump out milk is because he just eat a little. I am pretty sure about that. If I have a lot of milk in my breast, I still feel a lot in them. If I do not have much, he just latched on my breast for a while, and the milk does not come out that easily, he would give up. Has any mom experienced these problems. A amost crazy mom is Looking forward for all your advices.

I think you need to throw the bottles away, crawl into bed with him and stay there for the next 24 hours. You have NO OTHER JOB but to feed the baby.

Count dipes. At this age. about five changes per day.

Don't bother with cereal. It's junk and offers him nothing. In fact, it can do more harm than good through constipation and replacing breastmilk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)