Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My baby does not like eating

Posted by   + Show Post
My baby is six month old. Two weeks ago, he could eat 18oz breastmilk and around four spoons cereal. I pumped out and fed him by spoon. He hates bottles and I have tried five kinds of them which were recommended by my friends. But now, he is eating less and less. Even he is very hungry, he can only eat 2oz. He normally has three meals daily, 6oz each. I need 1.5 hours to finish feeding him by spoon each meal. because even 6 oz is still a lot for him. i am so worried about his health. we just had a six month check up, but pediatratien thought he is doing Great. his weight ratio is decreasing.People gave me advises that I should only gave my baby limit time to eat and fed him every three hours. I did that, but he can only eat 2oz efficiently, afterwards, he just had milk in his month and would not swallow. As you can see, two top problems for my baby. Do not like bottles, he only bite those nipes on the bottles. And eat little. The reason why i pump out milk is because he just eat a little. I am pretty sure about that. If I have a lot of milk in my breast, I still feel a lot in them. If I do not have much, he just latched on my breast for a while, and the milk does not come out that easily, he would give up. Has any mom experienced these problems. A amost crazy mom is Looking forward for all your advices.
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Replies (31-33):
qunny
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM
He had drool and gnawed his hands almost 1 month ago, but I did not see any sign of teething. Is that normal? I thought most of babies are supposed to start teething at 5 month age. So it is really strange to me that he had not started yet.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting qunny:

He cannot sit without help and he currently is working on that now.
OK. Then not ready foe solids yet. That's fine.
I never saw him have a full nursing session for one and a half month.
Define "a full nursing session." Because it's not a thing done by time; they can get in a full meal in five minutes or less. 
It seems like I only have enough milk in the morning. after 1:00pm, he has to work very hard to get milk. No matter how, he just ate a little, because he really like playing during nursing time. Maybe one hour later, he would eat again.
That's fine! Nothing wrong with that. Throw your clocks away.
So It is so difficult to have a perfect timing for solids.
SInce he's not sitting up on his own, then no solids anyway. But... the time for solids is the instant a nursing session ends. No waiting, please. Right away. It's OK if he doesn't eat a lot of solids; he shouldn't.
When he was four month old, he had more patience to get milk even I felt like I do not have. But now, once he can not get milk, he would cry and turn his head away.
Six months is teething time which can create this kind of behavior. Any sign of drool? Gnawing on hands? Teeth make their miserable presence known long before you can see or feel a thing.
I'd be offering a little sooner and wouldn't be worried unless he's not dirtying enough dipes. from what you've written I think he is?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, I think you're dealing with teething. It can happen at ANY age, including at birth. I'd try teething tablets before attempting to latch.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Quoting qunny:

I thought his weight is abnormal
Because you were working on an incorrect assumption. Baby needs to gain ONE POUND per month. More is OK, two pounds per month can be worrisom if formula is in the mix. Formula makes them gain at abnormal rates, leading to obesity.
and eating less than 18oz daily is abnormal.
If it's bottle only, yes, that's too little. He needs a minimum of 24 ounces per day if he's ONLY fed from the bottle.  If you're doing breast and bottle (and I'm still not clear on that) he should be getting 3 ounces per bottle. If you're doing a mix, COUNT DIPES, not bottle amounts.
All my friends baby had the same weight when they were four month old. Even those younger babies weigh more than mine. They are breastfeeding.
Comparing babies is the road to madness. NEVER do it. EVER. I'm serious. Compare your baby to only one person: HImself. He needs to gain ONE POUND per month. From your record keeping he's exceeded that so no worries on supply or gain.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)