Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pacifier confusion

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM
  • 7 Replies

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Colin was born Thurs morning and has been nursing like a champ.  20-30min per breast each time, solid latch, puffs of air when h swallows (which is consistent), but when he is "full" he roots and roots and fights the latch.  I gave him a paci (gasp! I know cardinal sin in BFing!) and I'm concerned he won't continue BFing as well if I continue giving it to him.  What do I do?  He wants to suck, just not nurse o latch for comfort nursing.  

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
GoodyBrook
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Let him comfort nurse.  When he's a bit older, I'd have no problem giving him a pacifier--just not for a few weeks until he's a pro at nursing.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:02 AM
^^^ I agree!! ^^^ all that nursing is designed to bring your supply in. At this early stage, I wouldn't do anything that your sabotage your supply or cause nipple confusion. I'd hold off on the pacifier until you've established successful supply/nursing.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:49 AM
If you notice a change in latch, take the pacifier away. I would keep trying to comfort nurse, but if he won't do it and wants to suck, that's what the pacifier is for. Make sure you give it only after nursing and not to try to hold him over until the next feeding and pay close attention to hunger cues.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:44 AM

It's not a cardinal sin. It's not advised in Mom's defense, because pacifiers can teach baby bad latch habits. And when that happens, who suffers? Mom!

Some genius should bake a breastfeeding pacifier that says "ouch" when baby gets it wrong.Or does something else... hmm...

If baby doesn't change the latch, and you are changing sufficient dipes, carry on as you are. If EITHER of those changes, the pacifier goes. His behavior is designed to help milk come in, after all. Happy babies are anathema. **grin**

amandaut99
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:25 PM

My baby is 4 weeks old today and I just started using a pacifier this week. Unlike my son who loved to comfort nurse, my daughter screams when milk comes out and she is done feeding. However, she still wants to suck. My husband and I let her suck on our index fingers up until now but I wanted to switch to a pacifier as she will be starting daycare in another month. I have not noticed any latch issues with either the finger sucking or now the pacifier.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Sep. 6, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Comfort nursing is good, and helps keep a good supply. I prefer my kids at the breast, however we had frustrations with my third once my milk came him. He had a high sucking need, i had oal and oversupply. So, when all else failed i gave him a pacifier. We used it for about a week and didnt need it anymore.
MissGore
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM

i never introduced the paci, and now after only 3 months dd doesn't need the comfort nurse. she's ebf, and she nurses every 2 hours or so during the day, then only wakes up twice at night between 6:30pm and 7:30 am.

usually she's up at 9pm then 5am too, so i get a good chunk of sleep.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN