Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast not draining

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi ladies I had a bout of mastitis two days ago but was able to get over it without antibiotics or anything.  Ever since then though, I still have pain in that breast and it doesn't seem like it is draining.  My other breast after nursing is soft and empty feeling but the one that got infected still seems relatively full.  Anyone know why this is?  Could it be because I nursed more on that side while I had mastitis?  Thanks!

by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Yes, it's exactly that. Warm showers, compresses.

mommymegan06
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM
What does mastitis feel like??

My right boob keeps getting shooting pains like I need to drain it but when I do nothing comes out. The most I have been able to get from it was anout .5oz when 2 says ago I coukd get 3oz. I can feel there is something in there because its hard and tender but no milk comes when I pump. Helppp
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Quoting mommymegan06:

Pain. Red streaks on the breast. Fever.
My right boob keeps getting shooting pains like I need to drain it but when I do nothing comes out.
THAT could be thrush instead. Any redness of the nipples?
The most I have been able to get from it was anout .5oz when 2 says ago I coukd get 3oz.
Thee ounces is super-overachieving... you may have had some oversupply. .5 ounces is actually much more like normal. That said...
I can feel there is something in there because its hard and tender but no milk comes when I pump. Helppp
You have a clog. Baby on the breast, right now. Chin pointed toward the hard spot. Best way to get rid of it. Massage and continue to work to drain the breast. Then check out the kellymom info on oversupply.

mommymegan06
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 12:54 PM
No redness on the nipples
I can't keep up with her demand with .5 from each. She eats from 2 to 3oz each feeding.
The hard spot is above my nipple. When I get the slightest bit full the shooting pains start.
Ill ck out the website.
Thank you :))

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting mommymegan06:

Pain. Red streaks on the breast. Fever.
My right boob keeps getting shooting pains like I need to drain it but when I do nothing comes out.
THAT could be thrush instead. Any redness of the nipples?
The most I have been able to get from it was anout .5oz when 2 says ago I coukd get 3oz.
Thee ounces is super-overachieving... you may have had some oversupply. .5 ounces is actually much more like normal. That said...
I can feel there is something in there because its hard and tender but no milk comes when I pump. Helppp
You have a clog. Baby on the breast, right now. Chin pointed toward the hard spot. Best way to get rid of it. Massage and continue to work to drain the breast. Then check out the kellymom info on oversupply.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Are you exclusively pumping? If so, how often are you pumping? Needs to be every two hours around the clock.

If you do have her on the breast you'll be able to keep up with her demand just fine. And dangle nursing can get you positioned right. It seems weird, but it works: Put baby on a flat surface. You get above her on all fours in the position needed to make her chin facing the bad spot. Latch. It feels ridiculous until the clog goes. **grin**

Quoting mommymegan06:

I can't keep up with her demand with .5 from each. She eats from 2 to 3oz each feeding.
The hard spot is above my nipple. When I get the slightest bit full the shooting pains start.
Ill ck out the website.

mommymegan06
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Not exclusively. But when she sleeps for 5 hrs straight I have to get some out so I just oump enough to relieve the pressure.. or when my nipples are so raw from her that I can't stand to have her nurse I pump. Its more of a back up plan. I tried the dangle method and the milk came ou t way to fast she started choking and I got milk all over her :/

Quoting gdiamante:

Are you exclusively pumping? If so, how often are you pumping? Needs to be every two hours around the clock.

If you do have her on the breast you'll be able to keep up with her demand just fine. And dangle nursing can get you positioned right. It seems weird, but it works: Put baby on a flat surface. You get above her on all fours in the position needed to make her chin facing the bad spot. Latch. It feels ridiculous until the clog goes. **grin**

Quoting mommymegan06:

Ill ck out the website.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Quoting mommymegan06:

Not exclusively. But when she sleeps for 5 hrs straight I have to get some out so I just oump enough to relieve the pressure..
OK,. Keep it to just relieving the pressure.
or when my nipples are so raw from her that I can't stand to have her nurse I pump.
Hmm... that can indicate a latch issue. Has she been checked for tongue or lip tie? Either of those can cause the pain you report AND can prevent effective removal of milk leading to clogs.
Its more of a back up plan. I tried the dangle method and the milk came ou t way to fast she started choking and I got milk all over her :/ 
And oversupply on top of it. OK. If you haven't tried warm showers yet, do that along with some massage to try to encourage the clog to come out.
mommymegan06
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Yes she has been checked for it. She just sucks untill I take her off. Its the comfort sucking. She can be totally sleeping and still have the death grip in my nipple.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting mommymegan06:

Not exclusively. But when she sleeps for 5 hrs straight I have to get some out so I just oump enough to relieve the pressure..
OK,. Keep it to just relieving the pressure.
or when my nipples are so raw from her that I can't stand to have her nurse I pump.
Hmm... that can indicate a latch issue. Has she been checked for tongue or lip tie? Either of those can cause the pain you report AND can prevent effective removal of milk leading to clogs.
Its more of a back up plan. I tried the dangle method and the milk came ou t way to fast she started choking and I got milk all over her :/ 
And oversupply on top of it. OK. If you haven't tried warm showers yet, do that along with some massage to try to encourage the clog to come out.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)