Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT Flu shot

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM
  • 16 Replies
Om. I'm adking for a friend and I need info kinda quick and I know you ladies flipping rock so here goes... Her son is 7-8 mos old and had a flu shot uesterday am. Now he's puking everything up. Is this a normal reaction? She said he has a little bit of a rash on his face but I suspect that might be from the forceful vomitting. Hes emptied his belly and is still dry heaving. Really I'm just not sure this is a normal reaction at all. The on call nurse said it was but I've never heard of it.... Ladies??! Experience?!
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Going to the doctors office alone exposes you to all sorts of germs the sick kids brought in. I swear if my kids weren't sick going in, theyre sick coming out. I'd be more likely to think the rash could be a side effect than the puking but I wouldn't discount anything. Did he ever had reactions to any other vaccines?
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

It is a reaction to the flu shot, not a normal every person reaction but is one of the things that could happen.

She should report the reaction to VAERS. 

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
That isn't typical. Its seen often when the vaccine is inhaled, but not usually with an injection. That doesn't mean it's not a possibility though. How many times has he vomited? Is he acting normal otherwise?
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM
A quick search lists vomiting as a potential side-effect of the LIVE vaccine, but not the inactivated flu vaccine. I'm not sure but I thought the shots were all inactivated and the live was in the nasal mists.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM
any vaccine temporarily lessens your immune system while it is fighting the virus it was injected with so it may have contributed to him catching a stomach virus but I've never heard of vomitting being a side effect of the injected flu vaccine.
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM
All excellent questions ladies. Hes been vomitting since last night. 4 times before she called the nurse. Finally got him to sleep. Hes not up yet. I believe he had the shot and not the mist but I will double check. I know he hasn't had any new foods in weeks. I'd be kinda surprised though if he was sick that quick from something he came in contact with at the office.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Stomach viruses can hit crazy fast. As soon as the virus enters the GI system the body can become immediately hell bent on getting it out.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

All excellent questions ladies. Hes been vomitting since last night. 4 times before she called the nurse. Finally got him to sleep. Hes not up yet. I believe he had the shot and not the mist but I will double check. I know he hasn't had any new foods in weeks. I'd be kinda surprised though if he was sick that quick from something he came in contact with at the office.
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:05 AM
Now that you mention it he did have a pretty high fever for two days after one of his past vaccinations... ugh. This is why I delay!! Trying to guess with a baby is just so frustrating!

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Going to the doctors office alone exposes you to all sorts of germs the sick kids brought in. I swear if my kids weren't sick going in, theyre sick coming out. I'd be more likely to think the rash could be a side effect than the puking but I wouldn't discount anything. Did he ever had reactions to any other vaccines?
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I've never done flu shots so idk what's typical. They freak me out. I didn't think it sounded normal. It started so soon before bed I don't think there was any opportunity to know if he was acting normal otherwise.

Quoting stepconfused182:

That isn't typical. Its seen often when the vaccine is inhaled, but not usually with an injection. That doesn't mean it's not a possibility though. How many times has he vomited? Is he acting normal otherwise?
GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Makes sense. Hence the reason a house will suddenly break out in vomitting within an hour of each other:-/

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Stomach viruses can hit crazy fast. As soon as the virus enters the GI system the body can become immediately hell bent on getting it out.

Quoting GoldenLinds:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)