Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need Baby Led Weaning Advice

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 20 Replies
I am doing baby led weaning with my first baby. He is 6 months. He was born 5 weeks early. I am waiting for him to sit up alone or until he's 7 months. I'm in no rush since he's breastfed and healthy. How is your feeding schedule? What kinds of food? Thank you.
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I don't understand the question. It is called "baby led" because they lead. Just keep feeding on demand until he shows interest in solids, such as reaching for crackers or Cheerios, for example. He will let you know. What is it you are trying to do?

Corina1987
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Once they eat..what kind of food and is there a schedule of breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Quoting Kathy489:

I don't understand the question. It is called "baby led" because they lead. Just keep feeding on demand until he shows interest in solids, such as reaching for crackers or Cheerios, for example. He will let you know. What is it you are trying to do?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Only one rule to this. Nurse first. Solids after. Follow it and you can give solids as often as you care to. Banana is a good starter. Or avocado.

Google Wholesome Baby Foods for ideas.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM

No schedule, just food to play with while we're eating.  Foods, soft foods of whatever we happen to be eating.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Answered in another group.  :)

Corina1987
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Thanks for the info!

Quoting gdiamante:

Only one rule to this. Nurse first. Solids after. Follow it and you can give solids as often as you care to. Banana is a good starter. Or avocado.

Google Wholesome Baby Foods for ideas.

Corina1987
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Thanks for the info:)

Quoting JadeTigr7:

No schedule, just food to play with while we're eating.  Foods, soft foods of whatever we happen to be eating.

ceckyl
by Kyla on Sep. 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't do any until 9 months at least, soft pieces of real food to self feed, AFTER nursing.
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with what everyone else said. The only schedule babies follow is the schedule of their own stomach.   :-)

Quoting Corina1987:

Once they eat..what kind of food and is there a schedule of breakfast/lunch/dinner?

Quoting Kathy489:

Hottubgodess
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this

You follow his lead.  He will eat every 2 - 3 hrs on his own schedule.  Follow his cues.  Around a year old he will drop feedings.  My ds2 self weaned at 3.  :) 

With him being early, consider delaying solids.  My two were both early (ds1 was 6 1/2 wks early and ds2 was just over 4 wks early).  We delayed everyting an extra 6 wks to make sure they were physically ready (some of the development in the womb happens on the outside in a preemie) 

Consider waiting until 8 months old to a year for solids.  YOu wont starve him.  :)  Then you will insure his gut is fully closed and he is ready. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)