Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need Baby Led Weaning Advice

Posted by   + Show Post
I am doing baby led weaning with my first baby. He is 6 months. He was born 5 weeks early. I am waiting for him to sit up alone or until he's 7 months. I'm in no rush since he's breastfed and healthy. How is your feeding schedule? What kinds of food? Thank you.
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
Succubus1987
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this
I did baby led weaning and he was doing good. But recently i had to just cut him off because he kept trying to nurse more and more frequently again lol.
Succubus1987
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Oh btw why are you trying to wean him so young?
Corina1987
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:22 PM
I think the whole process is considered weaning but im not cutting off his nursing any time soon. People think I'm introducing solids late.

Quoting Succubus1987:

Succubus1987
by Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Really? I started giving my son baby oatmeal cereal mixed with breast milk at the same age and was told by some that it was too early lol.

Quoting Corina1987:

I think the whole process is considered weaning but im not cutting off his nursing any time soon. People think I'm introducing solids late.

Quoting Succubus1987:

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:52 AM
This! My son got food maybe once a week for the first few months until he started demanding a bite of my dinner every night. That's when he started getting his own plate to play with and feed himself. I followed his lead and gave him more when HE indicated that he needed /wanted more.

Quoting Hottubgodess:

You follow his lead.  He will eat every 2 - 3 hrs on his own schedule.  Follow his cues.  Around a year old he will drop feedings.  My ds2 self weaned at 3.  :) 

With him being early, consider delaying solids.  My two were both early (ds1 was 6 1/2 wks early and ds2 was just over 4 wks early).  We delayed everyting an extra 6 wks to make sure they were physically ready (some of the development in the womb happens on the outside in a preemie) 

Consider waiting until 8 months old to a year for solids.  YOu wont starve him.  :)  Then you will insure his gut is fully closed and he is ready. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Weaning starts with the first bite of solids. But it can take many months to complete.

Quoting Succubus1987:

Really? I started giving my son baby oatmeal cereal mixed with breast milk at the same age and was told by some that it was too early lol.
Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting Succubus1987:

Succubus1987
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I wasn't weaning my son at 6 months, the only reason i gave him cereal was because the doctor said he was underweight. Which now that i look back on it i think he was full of crap. My son just turned 3 in Aug and i completely stopped bfing shortly before that.

Quoting gdiamante:

Weaning starts with the first bite of solids. But it can take many months to complete.

Quoting Succubus1987:

Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting Succubus1987:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I get it. But that little tidbit about weaning starting with solids can be ammunition for that dreaded question, "When are you weaning baby?" If solids are started, then you can honestly say, "We're working on it."

Quoting Succubus1987:

I wasn't weaning my son at 6 months, the only reason i gave him cereal was because the doctor said he was underweight. Which now that i look back on it i think he was full of crap. My son just turned 3 in Aug and i completely stopped bfing shortly before that.

Quoting gdiamante:

Succubus1987
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:20 AM
It was opposite for me, my in laws kept telling me i shouldn't have been giving it to him.

Quoting gdiamante:

I get it. But that little tidbit about weaning starting with solids can be ammunition for that dreaded question, "When are you weaning baby?" If solids are started, then you can honestly say, "We're working on it."

Quoting Succubus1987:

Quoting gdiamante:

Corina1987
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM
I swear people have been telling me to give solids since he was like 3 months lol. People always told me to give rice in his bottle since he was younger than that. They are annoying but I just nod and ignore lol.

Quoting Succubus1987:

Quoting Corina1987:

Quoting Succubus1987:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)