Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Not sure how I feel about this....

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

Our girls are right in the middle of pretend play, mainly playing house or superheroes lol.  Well last night YDD was wanting some milk while I was occupied and I told her to wait.  I look over a little bit later and ODD is pretending to nurse YDD.  DH thought it was cute, and they have done it several times since.  I did tell them that was an at home pretend only- I can only imagine how daycare would react if YDD tried that with ODD there lol.  My dilemma is, I feel almost like my "mom toes" are being stepped on....by my four year old.  She usually takes the mommy role, and is a very opinionated and bossy child (takes after her mother lol), so she is usually "feeding" YDD.  On the one hand, it is cute and developmentally normal, they are exploring family relationships.  On the other hand, it is hard not to have a knee jerk "omg what are you doing get off each other!!!" moment that I KNOW is based on growing up in a very conservative area, where breasts, breastfeeding, and anything related were NEVER mentioned.  Mothers disappeared with their children when I was little, and no one ever told me why, just ignored the whole topic.  How would you feel if your four year old pretend nursed your two year old?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 6, 2013 at 7:59 PM

Your feelings are never right or wrong. Don't know how I'd feel about it myself.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I would probably tell her she can only nurse her baby dolls because she is their mommy... but she is not sissy's mommy so only mommy can nurse her. That's just my reaction though... I only have to boys and they are really far apart in age.
preacherskid
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I would probably tell her she can only nurse her baby dolls because she is their mommy... but she is not sissy's mommy so only mommy can nurse her. That's just my reaction though... I only have to boys and they are really far apart in age.

I don't think I will try to stop it.  It is pretty normal, bizarre as it is.  YDD does still nurse a few times a day, so to her nursing a bigger kid is normal, and since they do the playing house at home, at daycare, and at family's homes, I really can't stop her from playing mommy to anything but her dolls, this kid is EVERYONE's mommy sometimes.  I am just trying to figure out how I feel about it lol.

CafeMom Tickers
kajira
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I would probably redirect it to dolls, rather than her sibling. She's not her sister's mommy - and Iwould be bothered by her trying to take over and act like she's in charge when they are both children. Dolls sure, siblings, not so much.

My daughter nurses her dolls, and she routinely tells us that our dog has nipples and they are for puppies and boys have nipples, but they are broken. LOL

She's 2.5

If/when we have more children, I'd be more then fine with her nursing her dolls, or toys. (she has play stuffed animals that nurse their babies too) But I would draw the line at an older child/human.. our girlie knows she has boobs, and they are for babies... and to her, babies = dolls, or an actual baby. Not an older child pretending to be a baby.

For me, it's just not an appropriate way to pretend play, that's what dolls are for... so that's what I'd redirect it too.

GoodyBrook
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:36 AM

I have two boys, 28 months and 8 months.  If they did it, I'd have to get into the "mommies feed their babies, daddies don't" speech!

AngryBob
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:46 AM

i am constantly telling my dd that she is NOT my ds' mom. but she's usually scolding him or bossing him around when i do. she nurses her dolls, too (as well as my ds lol).

i would definitely redirect. not because it's "icky", but because she's simply not the child's mother. you are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN