Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breast tenderness

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM
  • 3 Replies
Hi ladies, I posted earlier about having trouble draining one of my breasts after having mastitis. It is now draining fine but is still pretty tender. Should I be concerned that even though I no longer have a fever that I might still be infected. Is it time to call the dr? I did try calling earlier today but the office closes at 3 on Fridays and they have no one that returns calls after hours. I'm most likely going to try and wait it out until Monday but I did talk to the nurses hotline from my insurance and they said I should get a hold of a dr in the next 8 hours (which was at least that long ago). Any input would be helpful, thanks!
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ParanormalSarah
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:16 AM

I would call the local Lactation consultant from the LeLeche League - they are always on call and sometimes even come to your home. Not only will they help with homeopathic remedies but can determine if you should head to the dr sooner rather than later. I know if it were me, I'd do my best to drink lots of fluids, rub out the most milk I could and continue to drain - I imagine some soreness is expected as you pass an infection. However, I do know that infection can spread to the other breast or elsewhere and you want to avoid getting sick.  Keep an eye on the tenderness and drink fluids!

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM
I've had it twice before and never used antibiotics either time either. I was sore for a while after because I was massaging my breast all the time to get the clog out, while nursing and pumping. I would say you are ok as long as your fever doesn't come back. If it does, I would go into the urgent care.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM
If the fever and hard spot are gone it should be OK. I had mastitis a few months ago and did not take antibiotics. I felt crappy for a day or so but after I finally got the milk flowing I felt a lot better. My breast still felt "bruised" for another couple of days. Just make sure your fever stays down, you don't have red streaks on your breast and that the milk keeps flowing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)