Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How to track cycles while ebf

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm going on 3 wks pp with my fourth baby but this is my first I've ebf. With the others my period returned and I tracked my cycles then. I know for ones who ebf their period does not return for months. I also know some who got pregnant without having a regular period yet. I am wanting to track to avoid getting pregnant again yet. So this may be a dumb question but what else can be done to track cycles while ebf other than watching for my period? Also is there an average regular time ovulation begins again or is it random?
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Replies (21-27):
lifeforchrist
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

this is completely false information. For one you can't have a period without ovulating. Since a period is the discarding of the egg. You can however have estrogen induced bleeding from your body trying to ovulate.

the body gives many signs of approaching ovulation. A woman can certainly track a basic infertile pattern and when those signs start changing a woman can know when ovulation is starting to become a possibility. Charting is very good BC as it tells the woman exactly when she can get pregnant. If a condom breaks around ovulation it won't protect you but knowing to abstain around ovulation will.

Quoting skylersmom44:

There is no real way of tracking ovulation without a period. Even if you have a period, it doesn't necessarily mean that you ovulated that month. The only safe way to go is to use protection. BC or condoms. 

Honey_Comb
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:26 PM
This is what happened to me. :)

Quoting Junebaby18:

Every time is normal. Some start at 6 weeks, some not for 2 years or more. Some can go from pregnancy to nursing to pregnancy without even having a period.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my goodness, congratulations Anna!

Quoting PoodleMum:

I've heard that for people that can't get the proper sleep, laying down for an hour at the same time every day will be accurate enough.  I've been temping this month and get woken up by Evie a lot and have terrible insomnia, but still got a good reading my chart!  8dpo and faint bfp today :)

Quoting K8wizzo:

Cm, and cp will tell you if you are possibly approaching ovulation, temping will tell you if it has actually occurred. While temping is harder to do while bfing because you don't often have 4 hrs of uninterrupted sleep and a consistent waking time, paying attention to other fertility signs can let you know when to abstain or use protection. It's just a matter of knowing the method and your body.

Quoting skylersmom44:

There is no real way of tracking ovulation without a period. Even if you have a period, it doesn't necessarily mean that you ovulated that month. The only safe way to go is to use protection. BC or condoms. 

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! 3rd times the charm? Lol

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting PoodleMum:

I've heard that for people that can't get the proper sleep, laying down for an hour at the same time every day will be accurate enough.  I've been temping this month and get woken up by Evie a lot and have terrible insomnia, but still got a good reading my chart!  8dpo and faint bfp today :)

Quoting K8wizzo:

Cm, and cp will tell you if you are possibly approaching ovulation, temping will tell you if it has actually occurred. While temping is harder to do while bfing because you don't often have 4 hrs of uninterrupted sleep and a consistent waking time, paying attention to other fertility signs can let you know when to abstain or use protection. It's just a matter of knowing the method and your body.

Quoting skylersmom44:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM
If you think it's been a mthfr thing with Pippi and Evie, look into which type of folic acid or folate to take, starting now, for this one. I forget which is the good one but it should be easy to google.

Quoting PoodleMum:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting PoodleMum:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting skylersmom44:

PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:10 PM
I was taking methyl folate with Pippi and she was tied the worst (and has much worse midline defects). No vitamins with Evie lol. So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do!

Quoting K8wizzo:

If you think it's been a mthfr thing with Pippi and Evie, look into which type of folic acid or folate to take, starting now, for this one. I forget which is the good one but it should be easy to google.

Quoting PoodleMum:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting PoodleMum:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting skylersmom44:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kspear0120
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:32 AM

thanks i will look it up

Quoting lifeforchrist:

if you are exclusively breastfeeding then you can use LAM for the first six months or until your period returns. Google kellymom lam. And you can then track your mucus for a bip basic infertile pattern. I'd get taking charge of your fertility and read the bip chapter. After your period returns you just continue charting. It probably won't be regular so you have to watch the everyday signs as opposed to assuming your cycle is one way. That means more abstaining or use protection.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)