Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

why supplement? **updated again!**

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM
  • 47 Replies

*UPDATE 2*

Thanks everyone for all your advice, just wanted to let you all know that my little bug is doing better. she still occasionally has streaks of blood, but it's back to it's normal yellow/green instead of all brown and red. Yesterday and this morning she was in quite a bit of pain. no fever or anything else, just very uncomfortable, mostly gas. after some baby massage and a warm bath she started farting like a trucker, and now she's happy, giggling and playing again. I feel so relieved. After talking to the doctor again, we figure all i can do at this point is keep her (me) on the strict diet, and wait until she is older to test for celiacs, and dairy intolerance.

And here's my big girl posing pretty for the camera. :)

update

we went to the pedi yesterday morning, and they checked her over again. she's still happy and gaining weight, so the pedi had me send a culture to the lab and just said to keep an eye on her if she started showing any other signs.

this morning i go to change her diaper and its all red goopy and bloody. shes still happy and playing, but i'm getting scared. am i overreacting? has anyone else experienced anything like this?

we had to go to the doctor today, dd had blood in her poop, so we went to the ER. as it turns out, it was my fault, i accidently got gluten contaminated, and i have celiac disease. i never thought it could affect Scarlett, but obviously it did. after 4 hours the doctor said just to be careful of what i eat, and check with our pedi on monday.

scarlett is still happy, still gaining weight, and acts like nothing is wrong.

here's my question, the doctor said to supplement with watered down gatorade, since scarlett's poop is a little loose. do i really need to give my 3 month old a bottle of watered down gatorade, or can i just continue to breastfeed on demand? i would really rather not give her anything other than breastmilk if i can help it. I have an oversupply, so that's not an issue, and with all the allergies that run in myself and my family it just seems risky to me.

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Breastmilk is far better than Gatorade. Gatorade is full of chemicals. She should be fine even while the gluten clears. Doc is equating breastmilk with dairy.
celestegood
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM
In all honesty, I would think that could hurt your baby. I would just nurse on demand, as she's happy and healthy and doing fine on your milk.
You could give her too much water, and hurt her. She gets all of the hydration she needs from your milk alone.
Hugs! It'll be ok.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissGore
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:35 PM

i know the gluten is out of my system, at least as much as it can be, because my reactions have all passed. unfortunately little bug wasn't the only one with a little bloody poo.  i have no idea what the doctors were thinking.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Breastmilk is far better than Gatorade. Gatorade is full of chemicals. She should be fine even while the gluten clears. Doc is equating breastmilk with dairy.

MissGore
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 6:38 PM

that's what i was thinking. artificial dyes and all kinds of random chemical ingredients. it seemed risky when i eat gluten/dairy/soy/caffiene free.

i hope she's okay. i really don't want her to end up with celiac disease and lactose intolerance like mama. life is miserable for a kid that cant enjoy pizza and cake at every birthday party.

Quoting celestegood:

In all honesty, I would think that could hurt your baby. I would just nurse on demand, as she's happy and healthy and doing fine on your milk.
You could give her too much water, and hurt her. She gets all of the hydration she needs from your milk alone.
Hugs! It'll be ok.

celestegood
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Nursing her will help her be as healthy as she can be:) keep up the good work:)

Quoting MissGore:

that's what i was thinking. artificial dyes and all kinds of random chemical ingredients. it seemed risky when i eat gluten/dairy/soy/caffiene free.

i hope she's okay. i really don't want her to end up with celiac disease and lactose intolerance like mama. life is miserable for a kid that cant enjoy pizza and cake at every birthday party.

Quoting celestegood:

Hugs! It'll be ok.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:27 PM
That's terrible advice!!!! Keep nursing baby :)
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Oh goodness no, don't give a 3 month old water and Gatorade! Idiot doctor :/
Keep on nursing mama, it's the best thing you can do for her. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MissGore
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM

thanks! i was really worried about this. i dont even drink gatorade, giving it to her seemed wrong!

and shes passed out on my lap comfort nursing now. I hate having to hold her down for shots and blood draws, so we both could use a little comfort :)

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

Oh goodness no, don't give a 3 month old water and Gatorade! Idiot doctor :/
Keep on nursing mama, it's the best thing you can do for her. :)

K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 7, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Breastmilk is a clear fluid and a far better oral rehydration solution than gatorade or pedialyte because it provides exactly the fluids and nutrients that her body needs at any given point in time. She'll be fine, Mama.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:14 PM
If she gets Gatorade, it will fill her up for the nutrition she needs to grow.

That's something that is typical of what er docs say, unfortunately.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)