Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

oatmeal??

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM
  • 30 Replies
What is the minimum amount I need to consume daily to help with supply?
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:16 PM
You don't really need any. But in order to help with pump output I used to have a small bowl (maybe 1/2 cup of oats) a half hour before I pumped twice a day. I was only pumping two to three times a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queenb87
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:17 PM
wow thats alot lol

Quoting polkaspots:

You don't really need any. But in order to help with pump output I used to have a small bowl (maybe 1/2 cup of oats) a half hour before I pumped twice a day. I was only pumping two to three times a day.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM
It's only one cup of oats a day. I like oatmeal and was too cheap for fenugreek for a while.
Why do you think you have a supply issue?

Quoting queenb87:

wow thats alot lol

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
queenb87
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Wic and his Dr are concerned because at birth he was 8.11 at 7 days was down to 8 and at 1 month 2 days only at 8.12 so we have to wee Dr on Friday and if she don't like his weight gain then she will prescribe either reglin or formula to supplement. I was on fenugreek but was told it wasn't really necessary since he was gaining good and even off of it is gaining and having all his dirty diapers. So I restarted fenugreek tonight and I just want to try everything to get my supply up and help him gain more weight so they do.t press unnecessary meds or formula on us.

Quoting polkaspots:

It's only one cup of oats a day. I like oatmeal and was too cheap for fenugreek for a while.

Quoting queenb87:

wow thats alot lol

Quoting polkaspots:

ceckyl
by Kyla on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM
So from his lowest weight, he has gained 4 oz a week. That's perfect

Quoting queenb87:

Wic and his Dr are concerned because at birth he was 8.11 at 7 days was down to 8 and at 1 month 2 days only at 8.12 so we have to wee Dr on Friday and if she don't like his weight gain then she will prescribe either reglin or formula to supplement. I was on fenugreek but was told it wasn't really necessary since he was gaining good and even off of it is gaining and having all his dirty diapers. So I restarted fenugreek tonight and I just want to try everything to get my supply up and help him gain more weight so they do.t press unnecessary meds or formula on us.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting queenb87:

wow thats alot lol

Quoting polkaspots:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM
8.11 pounds or 8 pounds 11 ounces, there's a big difference between the two. If its the second one, and he's making enough diapers, you don't have to worry about using something to boost your supply. The goal for weight gain is an average of a pound a month from lowest weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:35 PM

Quoting queenb87:

Wic and his Dr are concerned because at birth he was 8.11 at 7 days was down to 8 and at 1 month 2 days only at 8.12
So in three weeks he gained 12 ounces. That's four ounces per week and that's PERFECT. Be aware, WIC is spotty on breastfeeding knowledge. And if you read this group for just ONE WEEK you will know more about breastfeeding your baby than your doc does, including appropriate gain. 4-6 ounces averaged per week is appropriate gain. So this is where you smile, nod, ignore.
so we have to wee Dr on Friday and if she don't like his weight gain then she will prescribe either reglin or formula to supplement.
You don't need either. If she doesn't like the gain, and if you've kept to the four ounces per week average as you've been doing, then the only thing you need is a sheet of bright pink paper, with the words, "You're Fired" written on them.
I was on fenugreek but was told it wasn't really necessary since he was gaining good and even off of it is gaining and having all his dirty diapers. So I restarted fenugreek tonight and I just want to try everything to get my supply up and help him gain more weight so they do.t press unnecessary meds or formula on us.
Fire the doctor. Seriously. You're perfect. DON'T MESS WITH IT.
If you don't want to lose the doc, at least lose the advice. This is how they are: They barely look at the baby. If you tell your doc baby's been gettting formula, doc will be happy with the gain... even if it's precisely the same!
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm sure real oatmeal is better, but I definitely see an increase in my pump amount if I eat a packet of instant oatmeal (easier at work). But remember pump output is NOT indicative of your supply, you can supply your baby more than adequately directly feom the breast and not be able to get a drop pumping.

Also nurse as much as possible don't worry about the clock. Just keep nursing. That will tell your body to make more milk.
queenb87
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM
8 pounds 11 ounces but he didn't gain until almost 3 weeks old

Quoting polkaspots:

8.11 pounds or 8 pounds 11 ounces, there's a big difference between the two. If its the second one, and he's making enough diapers, you don't have to worry about using something to boost your supply. The goal for weight gain is an average of a pound a month from lowest weight.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM

That's fine. Gain is averaged over the lifetime. Some weeks he'll gain a lot, some weeks he'll gain a little, some weeks he'll gain nothing at all... 

All normal over the lifetime.

Make sure he's always put on the same scale. But i also want you to google this title: Look at the Baby, Not the Scale. You'll find it very reassuring.

Quoting queenb87:

8 pounds 11 ounces but he didn't gain until almost 3 weeks old

Quoting polkaspots:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)