Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hey ladies, I have a few questions and worries.

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 6 Replies
Thanks ahead of time for reading. :)

So my husband and I found out we are pregnant last week. This should be my 6th week. All I've been thinking about is how important it is to me to breastfeed this time. I gave up with my son after 1 day, and I've felt so guilty over it. We also had such a terrible time with formula, I don't want to do it again.

I know I'm going to try harder to get this baby to latch, I'm determined. But, my biggest concern is what if I don't produce milk? With my son, I remember only a few days where I leaked a little milk. I never became engorged, or had any terrible pain. (now that I think about it, I had a csection and was taking percocet, maybe that's why lol)

I'm just worried ill fail, and I really want to stick with it this time. Any tips or advice you wonderful mommas have is much appreciated!

It may take me a bit to reply too, my 17 month old is getting fussy.
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
TattooedMommyxo
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this
Try different latches and just be patient. It took awhile for my daughter and I to get it and I felt like it was my fault but its a learning process for both of you. I had to use a nipple sheild for awhile. Its just a matter of finding a way that works for yourself and baby. Good luck! Hope it will work out for you this time :)
MrsNiko88
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Breastfeeding does not need to be painful and you do not have to get engorged. You CAN do this. Make sure baby's latch is correct it shouldn't hurt. Get help from and LC if needed and then nurse, nurse, nurse. If a newborn is wiggly and feeding 24/7 that is a GOOD thing. Only way to tell if  you are making enough is diaper counts. Congrats on the new baby!!

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Its so rare to not produce enough, i wouldnt be concerned with that.

Nurse as soon as you can.after baby is born, nurse on demand, no bottles of pacifiers until breastfeeding is well established.

Check out la leche league www.llli.org and search for a group near you. Www.kellymom.com is a great resource. Look for an ibclc if you need additional help. Most hospitals have lactation consultants you can request for help as well. Of course there is this group as well! :)
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 10, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cyork2:

So my husband and I found out we are pregnant last week. This should be my 6th week. All I've been thinking about is how important it is to me to breastfeed this time. I gave up with my son after 1 day, and I've felt so guilty over it. throw away the guilt...no need for it.  WHen you know better you do betterWe also had such a terrible time with formula, I don't want to do it again.

I know I'm going to try harder to get this baby to latch, I'm determined. But, my biggest concern is what if I don't produce milk? vast majority of women do..its very rare NOT toWith my son, I remember only a few days where I leaked a little milk. because you werent nursing and stimulating it to come inI never became engorged, or had any terrible pain.some moms dont (now that I think about it, I had a csection and was taking percocet, maybe that's why lol) maybe...or dehydrated

I'm just worried ill fail, and I really want to stick with it this time. Any tips or advice you wonderful mommas have is much appreciated! stick around here and read read read, kellymom.com needs to be bookmarked by you too!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 11, 2013 at 1:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting cyork2:

So my husband and I found out we are pregnant last week. This should be my 6th week. All I've been thinking about is how important it is to me to breastfeed this time. I gave up with my son after 1 day, and I've felt so guilty over it. We also had such a terrible time with formula, I don't want to do it again.
Past is past. Forget about it.

I know I'm going to try harder to get this baby to latch, I'm determined. But, my biggest concern is what if I don't produce milk? With my son, I remember only a few days where I leaked a little milk. I never became engorged, or had any terrible pain. (now that I think about it, I had a csection and was taking percocet, maybe that's why lol)
This is a "cross that bridge IF you come to it" worry. And most likely you'll be on a completely different roadway and never even see this bridge. Not every woman gets engorged.

I'm just worried ill fail, and I really want to stick with it this time. Any tips or advice you wonderful mommas have is much appreciated!

Pick up a copy of "So That's What THey're For" by Janet Tamaro and read it through. Knowledge is what gets you through. The other thoing to get you through? You've never had a baby before. Tabula rasa. Forget everything.

cyork2
by New Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Thanks everyone! These are some great tips, and awesome info :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN