Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

5 hours to long?

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM
  • 15 Replies

my son is 3 weeks old and last night he slept for 5 hrs last night. Is that to long to not have nursed him or pumped something? He is content and I was thankful for the sleep and I didn't wake up at all till he did. I am curious though if it will hurt my supply if he goes that long this early. He nursed well before bed and nursed quite a while after he woke up.

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 11, 2013 at 7:21 PM
2 moms liked this

Its fine, your supply will adjust and so will baby no worries

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM
His patterns will also change with subsequent growth spurts, teething, etc. Enjoy it for now!
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Let sleeping dogs and sleeping babies lie!  :)

My LO was the same from birth, sleeping 5 hours at a stretch during the night.  It took awhile for everything to regulate, but I was soooo happy that I got a bit extra sleep!

(One thing to note, a bit OT to the OP, is that by not nursing for that many hours during the night MIGHT bring your fertility back more quickly than if you were nursing every 3 hours.  At least this is the info my midwife gave us, along with the advice to take precautions if we weren't wanting Irish Twins!)

MommyLove707
by New Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:57 PM

My daughter also sleeps in 5 hour long stretches and I do not wake to pump.  She is 10 weeks old and my supply is fine.  Last night she surprised us by sleeping 8 hours!  I had pumped at 11pm but did not wake up again until 5:30 am.  Needless to say, I pumped 9 oz at that point!

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:01 PM
2 moms liked this
You don't need to express milk when baby isn't hungry. Your supply will be based on what your baby needs. If your little one starts sleeping through the night today, your supply will adjust. You don't have to wake to pump unless you're eping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kspear0120
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:20 PM

yea im not expecting it to be permanent :)

Quoting MusherMaggie:

His patterns will also change with subsequent growth spurts, teething, etc. Enjoy it for now!

kspear0120
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Thanks for the note I hadn't thought about that. Should I wake and pump then?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

My LO was the same from birth, sleeping 5 hours at a stretch during the night.  It took awhile for everything to regulate, but I was soooo happy that I got a bit extra sleep!

(One thing to note, a bit OT to the OP, is that by not nursing for that many hours during the night MIGHT bring your fertility back more quickly than if you were nursing every 3 hours.  At least this is the info my midwife gave us, along with the advice to take precautions if we weren't wanting Irish Twins!)

kspear0120
by Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:22 PM

yes I have been pumping just one side in the morning to start building a stash. I'm just pumping one side while he nurses and I have gotten 3 oz each time just from the one size. I was surprised!

Quoting MommyLove707:

My daughter also sleeps in 5 hour long stretches and I do not wake to pump.  She is 10 weeks old and my supply is fine.  Last night she surprised us by sleeping 8 hours!  I had pumped at 11pm but did not wake up again until 5:30 am.  Needless to say, I pumped 9 oz at that point!

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Quoting polkaspots:

You don't need to express milk when baby isn't hungry. Your supply will be based on what your baby needs. If your little one starts sleeping through the night today, your supply will adjust. You don't have to wake to pump unless you're eping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:12 AM
Pumping doesn't have the same effect as nursing does. In order for breastfeeding to work as birth control you have to be nursing every two-three hours during the day and I think three-four at night. As well as having baby physically close to you all the time.
That beig said I have no idea where those rules came from because I pumped, skipped feedings, and left my baby with dh many times and didn't get pregnant until after his first birthday.
Best thing to do is use some sort of birth control method.

Quoting kspear0120:

Thanks for the note I hadn't thought about that. Should I wake and pump then?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)