Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working & nursing - nursling cries when I leave

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM
  • 19 Replies

I have a 3.5 month old. She will be 4 months on the 17th of September and she's EBF. I am a hairdresser and own my own business. I've been back to work since she's a month old and she eats pumped milk whenever I'm at work. I only work 2-3 days a week. We've always had bottle issues with her, she sometimes refuses it. But she's recently been crying, I should say screaming, when I leave. For example, tonight I went to work for 2 hours and she started screaming 5 minutes after I left and my husband is losing his mind. She has reflux and has always cried when she had gas so we always think its gas but I honestly don't know. She takes zantac and we give her colic calm. When she cries like this for the sitter (which is always either MIL or my husband) nothing works to calm her down :( she doesn't want a pacifier.  It's breaks everyone heart to have her cry so bad. 

I will say when she's happy she's very happy. They do have a lot of happy times throughout the day but she gets upset around eating or when she's tired bc she likes to comfort nurse. It's like then she realizes that I'm gone. But she loves playing during the day etc. it all seems to be at night or tired and eating related. 

Help!! I don't know what to do or what I'm doing wrong :( do I need to stop working? 

by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I wouldn't say you need to stop working... or that *you* need to do anything. It's just something that dad and grandma need to figure out. Try different paci's. Different holds. Taking a walk in the stroller... they just need to find what works for them.
bebe_ju-rah
by Bronze Member on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:22 PM
It's the age momma. My little guy was a terror for the sitter until around 6 months.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Sep. 11, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Hugs mama! My first was like that more than the others. Honestly i had no regrets when u stopped working. I didnt work much or make much, but the litlle i did make helped us a bit and we noticed the income drop, but we adjusted. Then i found something to do without leaving my kids. If you decide to keep working, everyone will adjust. Hang in there, all of you!

Btw, has daddy or grandma tried wearing her? That may help.
BlessedMammaof2
by on Sep. 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Could it be a milk or other food sensitivity causing her to have gas and tummy troubles? Or possibly overactive letdown/oversupply? That's the only time my son cried inconsolably. I would also suggest babywearing. Seeing as you own you're own business I would personally forget bottles altogether and have whoever is watching her bring her to you to be nursed every 2.5-3 hours and arrange you're scheduled clients to accommodate nursing her. Your DH and grandma need to find different ways to soothe her too.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Also possible that teething is causing the misery.

Really, dad and grandma have to find their depth. All of this is really harder on them than it is the baby; she's not upset so much as trying to communicat and they don't speak "baby." (None of us really do.)

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Also possible that teething is causing the misery.

Really, dad and grandma have to find their depth. All of this is really harder on them than it is the baby; she's not upset so much as trying to communicat and they don't speak "baby." (None of us really do.)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Neenapye
by New Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:42 AM
She does have a milk protein allergy so I eat pretty strictly without dairy. But now I'm thinking maybe I need to cut gluten too? I can't pin point what is giving her gas bc I eat a lot of the same things everyday.

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

Could it be a milk or other food sensitivity causing her to have gas and tummy troubles? Or possibly overactive letdown/oversupply? That's the only time my son cried inconsolably. I would also suggest babywearing. Seeing as you own you're own business I would personally forget bottles altogether and have whoever is watching her bring her to you to be nursed every 2.5-3 hours and arrange you're scheduled clients to accommodate nursing her. Your DH and grandma need to find different ways to soothe her too.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:52 AM

This sounds like an "I miss mommy" issue. No one is doing anything wrong.

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Mine too. His nick name there is Screech! He is 15 months and loves playing with the other kids now.

Quoting bebe_ju-rah:

It's the age momma. My little guy was a terror for the sitter until around 6 months.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Do you consume any soy or goat's or sheep's milk products?  Those are extremely common cross-allergens for cow's milk protein and 50% of kids with a milk protein sensitivity are also sensitive to soy; different 50% are also sensitive to goat's and sheep's milk products.

Quoting Neenapye:

She does have a milk protein allergy so I eat pretty strictly without dairy. But now I'm thinking maybe I need to cut gluten too? I can't pin point what is giving her gas bc I eat a lot of the same things everyday.

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)